Myths, Legends and the Mojo of the Dallas Rangemaster

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

Thanks
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

peps1
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by peps1 »

vot wrote:Please, sir!
Thank-you

carboncomp
Information

Post by carboncomp »

how dose the Beano boost let you switch 3 input caps with a SPST toggle switch?

I can even work out how to do it with a ON ON ON DPDT toggle switch?

Anyone got wiring diagrams for multiple inputs using toggles, not rotary switches?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

carboncomp wrote:how dose the Beano boost let you switch 3 input caps with a SPST toggle switch?

I can even work out how to do it with a ON ON ON DPDT toggle switch?

Anyone got wiring diagrams for multiple inputs using toggles, not rotary switches?
It'll be an On/Off/On SPDT not SPST.

And with a On/Off/On DPDT... stick the smallest value cap in the center and connect it's two lugs to where the input caps went, then stick two larger caps on either side of the switch and they'll parallel with the middle to give you two new larger values.

SPDT is the same but you connect 3 legs of the caps together.

carboncomp
Information

Post by carboncomp »

:slap: thank you :)

Vinnie
Information

Post by Vinnie »

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

Anyone know of a verified NPN vero layout for a straight-up Rangemaster clone?
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

JVanDe7 wrote:Anyone know of a verified NPN vero layout for a straight-up Rangemaster clone?

0.15" pitch? 0,1" pitch?

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information
Completed builds: DAM Red Rooster clone, Zvex Octane 3 clone, Zvex Fuzz Factory clone, Maestro MFZ-1 clone, Fulltone Soul Bender clone, Fulltone 69 clone, Green Russian Muff clone, Dallas Rangemaster clone, Mosrite Fuzzrite clone, EA Tremolo, VOX Clyde McCoy wah, Jordan Bosstone clone, Analogman Sun Face clone...

Post by JVanDe7 »

0.1" pitch is what I have at home so that would be ideal.
I'm looking to create (recreate?) a Rangemaster variation...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17725

So inplace of the input capacitor I want to have a 6-way rotary switch, to choose from 6 different values from .0047uF up to .15uF
But that doesn't need to be on-board. I can create a separate small board for the input caps or just solder them to the switch (could get messy).

I just want a nice clean vero starting point that I can use with the CV7112 NPN Ge tranny I have at home. A 5K bias trimpot on the board (instead of 3k9) would be great too if possible.
“Walk tall, kick ass, learn to speak Arabic, love music and never forget you come from a long line of truth seekers, lovers and warriors.”
― Hunter S. Thompson

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

JVanDe7 wrote:0.1" pitch is what I have at home so that would be ideal.
I'm looking to create (recreate?) a Rangemaster variation...
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=17725

So inplace of the input capacitor I want to have a 6-way rotary switch, to choose from 6 different values from .0047uF up to .15uF
But that doesn't need to be on-board. I can create a separate small board for the input caps or just solder them to the switch (could get messy).

I just want a nice clean vero starting point that I can use with the CV7112 NPN Ge tranny I have at home. A 5K bias trimpot on the board (instead of 3k9) would be great too if possible.

Awesome then... I've started PNP 0,15" project meanwhile :mrgreen:

give me 15 minutes

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

:thumbsup

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Right on man. That was fast!
I don't mean to be rude but I noticed some variations...
http://www.geofex.com/article_folders/r ... tboost.pdf

You like the 25uF electrolytic caps instead of 50uF?
Also noticed the 39K instead of 3K9?
― Hunter S. Thompson

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Most of the picts of RM's I've seen shows 25uF for both locations, that's why I did it that way, 39k was my error, thanks for spotting that

Corrected layout added + that big one I did earlier - with 50uF for filtering :)

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

Here's the layouts I use for my Ballsmasters with 4-way selectable input caps. The input goes to the center of the rotary and then each leg of the rotary connects to the bottom side of one of the four caps on the left. The top layout is spaced for .1 inch and the bottom for .15. This is NPN and also laid out for mojo parts.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

That's very generous of you man. Thanks!
Cool layout. If you could somehow rearrange the order of the wiring for the pot, you could even use a board-mount pot. Kind of convenient because then you don't have to worry about mounting the board somehow.
― Hunter S. Thompson

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

I have finished NPN RM with input cap blend recently on .015" pitch vero, here's gut shot.
Will post layout later during weekend. Maybe will rearrange it a bit, because it's not perfect - input wire going to electro cap is to close to ground rail and it cause short circuit... But without cap blend will work perfectly :thumbsup
Attachments
rm2.png
rm2.png (440.56 KiB) Viewed 2755 times

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Dr Tony Balls wrote:Here's the layouts I use for my Ballsmasters with 4-way selectable input caps. The input goes to the center of the rotary and then each leg of the rotary connects to the bottom side of one of the four caps on the left. The top layout is spaced for .1 inch and the bottom for .15. This is NPN and also laid out for mojo parts.

Doc - on smaller vero You have to place one more cut - now 47nF input cap is connected to power rail
cut under 10nf cap will do the job :blackeye

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

For anyone interested in hearing what a Rangemaster Treble Booster can do with an amp, just check out the first two Black Sabbath albums and listen to the tone Tony Iommi is getting, as he used a Rangemaster in the early days of Black Sabbath.... :thumbsup

Note that he was using a Gibson SG guitar.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

beedotman wrote:
Dr Tony Balls wrote:Here's the layouts I use for my Ballsmasters with 4-way selectable input caps. The input goes to the center of the rotary and then each leg of the rotary connects to the bottom side of one of the four caps on the left. The top layout is spaced for .1 inch and the bottom for .15. This is NPN and also laid out for mojo parts.

Doc - on smaller vero You have to place one more cut - now 47nF input cap is connected to power rail
cut under 10nf cap will do the job :blackeye

OH SHIT....you're right, and i did this on paper in my printed version. forgot to change it on the digital version.

JVanDe7
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by JVanDe7 »

Any advice as far as which rotary switch to use? I understand if you'd rather not say. Thanks either way.
― Hunter S. Thompson