Eko - Multitone  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
zxspex
Information

Post by zxspex »

Found this on a local listing. Admittedly not the best photo but I couldn't find the schematic elsewhere.
Attachments
image.jpeg

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

The repeat percussion derivative module has a diode facing the collector of the audio stage transistor i haven't seen before - could it serve a useful purpose, e.g. reducing tick?
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

Nocentelli wrote:The repeat percussion derivative module has a diode facing the collector of the audio stage transistor i haven't seen before - could it serve a useful purpose, e.g. reducing tick?
The diode is being used as a current-controlled attenuator. Look up "diode attenuator" to see what they're doing. It's nothing at all to do with "ticking"
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"

Bononoob
Information

Post by Bononoob »

I traded and repaired a Eko Multitone a while back. Apparently it's the firt multi-effect ever.
It has Wah (called Strepitoso in italian), Treble/Bass Booster, Distortion and Repeat (percussion tremolo).
So I traced the 4 different circuits, you can find attached the schematics and some pics.
FS33805 are npn BJT with 1:C 2:B 3:E pinout. I tested one and hfe was 216. BC208 is apparently an equivalent and if i'm not mistaken 2n3904 could do the job.
4JD5E44 is a UJT (maybe equivalent to 2n2646 ?)
I hope I got it right the first time, but if you find anything weird on one of the circuits, point it out and I'll check the board
Attachments
StrepitosoSch.png
TBBSch.png
TBBSch.png (9.79 KiB) Viewed 4471 times
DistortionSch.png
RepeatSch.png
IMG_20190515_023908.jpg
IMG_20190515_023830.jpg
IMG_20190515_013014.jpg
IMG_20190515_023716.jpg
Science is art. Art is science.
https://electric-canary.com

rockola
Information

Post by rockola »

Bononoob wrote: It has Wah (called Strepitoso in italian)
Eko gear has the best labels. I have an Eko Duke combo where the power switch is labeled SI/NO, inputs INGRESSI, and the tone controls ALTI and MEDI-BASSI :D

Ben N
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Ampeg J12D Jet

Post by Ben N »

rockola wrote:
Bononoob wrote: It has Wah (called Strepitoso in italian)
Eko gear has the best labels. I have an Eko Duke combo where the power switch is labeled SI/NO, inputs INGRESSI, and the tone controls ALTI and MEDI-BASSI :D
I have GOT to use this.

nightraven
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by nightraven »

The first? It seems unusual for an Italian effects manufacturer to come up with something original...
Does this thing predate the Selmer Fuzz/wah/repeat? (c. 1969)
https://fuzzboxes.org | authoritative and clickbait-free resource for 1960s fuzz pedals

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

nightraven wrote:The first? It seems unusual for an Italian effects manufacturer to come up with something original...
Does this thing predate the Selmer Fuzz/wah/repeat? (c. 1969)
Careful here. Italy had a very respectable industry of electronic musical instruments in the 70's and eigthies. Especially in the synthesizer arena they did cool stuff. Think brands like Crumar and Siel. Siel was taken over by Roland for production capacitywhen they lost the battle against the DX7 (and they weren't the only one) later which resulted in some very characteristic Siel design work showing up in Roland equipment.

Which means that it's not that hard to imagine some original effects technology can originate from Italy. Or perhaps be more known under another non-italian brandname.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

idy
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: FFs, Octavias, TBMKIIIs, Buzzarounds/alikes, Axis Fuzz', CS Overdriver, BMPs, Black '65s, MOSFETODs, WiiO, RAH, Klons, AC30, DLS, TSs and many variants, Small Clones, UniVibes, E. Mistress, Mutron Env Filter, Ross/Dynacomps,, EA Trems, TremLunes, Katana Boosters, BYOC Tri Boosters, other boosters and buffers, PT2399 delays, SKRM based delays, Belton Brick Reverbs, 3band parametric EQ,

Post by idy »

Is that booster schematic right? very unusual...?

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

idy wrote:Is that booster schematic right? very unusual...?
I cannot recognize any circuit principle.
Thought to myself, who knows and ran a circuit simulation, but the circuit was not working.
I think the circuit needs a review.

Bononoob
Information

Post by Bononoob »

Manfred wrote:
idy wrote:Is that booster schematic right? very unusual...?
I cannot recognize any circuit principle.
Thought to myself, who knows and ran a circuit simulation, but the circuit was not working.
I think the circuit needs a review.
Oops looks like I swapped Input and Output. It makes sense if you read it the other way right ?
I corrected it, and ran it through a circuit simulation. You tell me if it still looks wrong (it's a weird boost anyway, lot of treble very quickly).
Thanks for the heads up
Attachments
TBBSch.png
TBBSch.png (10.23 KiB) Viewed 4248 times
Science is art. Art is science.
https://electric-canary.com

Manfred
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Manfred »

The EKO booster circuit very similar to the VOX V8401 booster circuit.
I run the simulaton, using a BC183BP transistor that is a good replacement for the FS33805 transistor.
There is no significant gain, but a gain less then one namely from 0.14 to 0.91 depend on the potentiometer setting.
Thereby the input voltage was 50 Millivolts @ 1kHz.
Following the VOX booster circuity a changed the resitor values of the base voltage divider
form 22k to 220k and from 68k to 680k.
The circuit work now and have a gain form 1.4 to 8.6.
VOX_V8401toEKO_Treble-Bass_Booster.jpg