Top Gear - Sound Rotator

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

not very clear pictures,but...... :wink:
Attachments
Picture 006a.JPG
Picture 005a.JPG
Picture 004a.JPG
Picture 003a.JPG
Picture 001a.JPG

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

I dig the old stripboard layout. I wish the pics were more clear, but I'm sure it was a PITA to get pictures of a rare old unit like that in the first place....

Thanks... :D

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Wow..... that looks really nice...... what does it do? I "guess" chorus and tremolo????

Some better pics here although they won't add much :)
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

it has 4 ldr's ...placed around light bulb........so it is IMHO transistor vibrato..or phaser... :D
it sounded very dull and muddy ...
I had it for one day only ..long enaugh to take photos....
:horsey:
http://www.harpamps.com/schematics/univibe.pdf

DiscoFreq
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by DiscoFreq »

EffectsDatabase: http://www.effectsdatabase.com
22000 pedals, 4000 brands, 350 brand interviews
NAMM 2016: http://fxdb.org/namm

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

I could get to this pedal again........so is somebody interested to trace this .....and to help me fixing it......sound was not sharp (clear)........bad capacitors??? something else......

if there is any interest,I will get to it :thumbsup

boris

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Professor SourTone »

borislavgajic wrote:I could get to this pedal again........so is somebody interested to trace this .....and to help me fixing it......sound was not sharp (clear)........bad capacitors??? something else......

if there is any interest,I will get to it :thumbsup

boris
Boris - its possible I now own this pedal, as it came to me from Serbia - is there a schematic anywhere?

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

It is now being looked at - lots of things wrong with it, bad photocell, oscillator, transformer buzz. Wet still very dull and wet/dry not "summing", whatever that means. It will sound very different when fixed, I suspect. H

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Herewith circuit diagram + post-fix gutshots by Dan Coggins of Dinosaural, although he stresses that without rebuilding it, the oscillator section may not be 100% correct.

It had a dead RPY58A photoresistor (replaced with ORP12, similar functionally), oscillator needed tuning, lube trimpots, fix buzzing transformer, dry joint on level pot.

One mod, 22k "straight blend" mod resistor across bypass switch to brighten it up. Buffer recommended as input impedance very low.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmi83jTG

Its not arrived home yet, but the IG link in my previous post suggest its a changed beast!

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hi, please could you post the pictures on another media: both links don't work for me.
Thanks.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

And here I was thinking it was just going to turn out to be another UniVibe, that actually looks interesting, seems it's just a transistor based version of the later 'Rotator'. I'll be interested to hear how it sounds, I can't quite picture it.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Scruffie wrote:interested to hear how it sounds, I can't quite picture it.
I'm also intrigued. If you can't see the flickr schematic, it's like four colorsound inductor-less twin-T wah circuits in parallel but all tuned to different bands, and all modulated by a (PSO?) LFO. I am going to type thing out with a LED instead of the lamp.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Zokk wrote:Hi, please could you post the pictures on another media: both links don't work for me.
Thanks.
I will have a go - what’s the recommended way nowadays, photobucket is hopeless now.

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Nocentelli wrote:
Scruffie wrote:interested to hear how it sounds, I can't quite picture it.
I'm also intrigued. If you can't see the flickr schematic, it's like four colorsound inductor-less twin-T wah circuits in parallel but all tuned to different bands, and all modulated by a (PSO?) LFO. I am going to type thing out with a LED instead of the lamp.
This from Dan - “A view of the audio filter board. There are four summed (parallel) band-pass filters using Wien-bridge networks, whose frequency bands are roughly an octave apart and each are adjusted to be on the threshold of resonance using individual trimpots. The four of these single transistor stages added together provides four deep notches that sweep up and down together and carve out the input signal. The additional resistor provides more straight signal bandwidth for these to cancel agains @Level=8.”

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Professor SourTone wrote: I will have a go - what’s the recommended way nowadays, photobucket is hopeless now.
Thanks, you can upload the pictures directly on the forum, check the tab below when you write a message :"upload attachment".

Professor SourTone
Solder Soldier
Information

Sorry delay
Attachments
52BE6011-D62A-4841-84F2-BF209F6B9E93.jpeg
CF3EB265-E132-450B-B5A0-AA49340AAA69.jpeg

EddieTavares
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: marshall