B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...

B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby SPeter » 19 Aug 2009, 01:13

Hi All,
Nice guts and ridiculous price! Identical to Vox MKIII ToneBender:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0464153930
:)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author SPeter has received thanks:
Desdog (18 Mar 2015, 19:44)
SPeter
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:10
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 76 times

Re: VINTAGE B&M SOLA SOUND FUZZ GUITAR PEDAL EFFECT

Postby SPeter » 19 Aug 2009, 01:37

SPeter
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:10
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 76 times

Re: VINTAGE B&M SOLA SOUND FUZZ GUITAR PEDAL EFFECT

Postby Electric Warrior » 19 Aug 2009, 01:47

that's not true. the Barnes and Mullins Fuzz is nearly identical to the Jumbo Tonebender. The MKIII is a different breed.
there's a whole lot of gut shots to be found at the D*A*M forum...
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: VINTAGE B&M SOLA SOUND FUZZ GUITAR PEDAL EFFECT

Postby Greg » 19 Aug 2009, 02:56

Electric Warrior wrote:that's not true. the Barnes and Mullins Fuzz is nearly identical to the Jumbo Tonebender.


Which is pretty much a Big Muff.

Yes the MKIII is very different.
culturejam wrote: We are equal opportunity exposure artists.
User avatar
Greg
Old Solderhand
 
Posts: 3319
Joined: 03 Nov 2007, 10:35
Location: Australia
Has thanked: 77 times
Have thanks: 195 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby rs » 19 Aug 2009, 03:15

I have a colorsound supa-wah-fuzz-swell, and the fuzz board is identical, same layout.
rs
Breadboard Brother
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 01 Dec 2007, 15:40
Has thanked: 99 times
Have thanks: 7 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Electric Warrior » 19 Aug 2009, 07:19

There's two or three different layouts for the jumbo circuit with vertical controls.

some have slightly different resistor values (39k instead of 33k and 10 instead of 8k2) and/or component types (ceramic caps vs. styroflex). What I believe to be the earlier units have tropical fish caps instead of the greenies.
The values of the ceramic/styro caps may vary as well, but it's hard to see in the pictures I found. I've seen styroflex caps with a 500pf color code. Others have the number 220 printed onto them (or is this the voltage rating?). The ceramics in the ebay pics are 470pF. Does anybody have some more data?
And I'm not quite sure about the small cap at lug 1 of the tone pot. is it supposed to be 0.003µF or 0.004µF?
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby sonicvi » 19 Aug 2009, 15:32

Electric Warrior wrote:There's two or three different layouts for the jumbo circuit with vertical controls.

some have slightly different resistor values (39k instead of 33k and 10 instead of 8k2) and/or component types (ceramic caps vs. styroflex). What I believe to be the earlier units have tropical fish caps instead of the greenies.
The values of the ceramic/styro caps may vary as well, but it's hard to see in the pictures I found. I've seen styroflex caps with a 500pf color code. Others have the number 220 printed onto them (or is this the voltage rating?). The ceramics in the ebay pics are 470pF. Does anybody have some more data?
And I'm not quite sure about the small cap at lug 1 of the tone pot. is it supposed to be 0.003µF or 0.004µF?


It's usually .0039uF and that's what the original schematic calls for. Sola Sound called the B&M circuit "Fuzz A" and it is identical to the Jumbo with the exception of a 220K resistor at the output. I'm not sure what the purpose of that resistor is as it reduces the volume quite a bit. The pots are usually either all log taper or log for the volume and sustain and linear for the tone. Everything else about this circuit is pretty much evident from the photos and the "Fuzz A/Jumbo Tone Bender" schematic on the web. I think everybody pretty much knows by now the Jumbo is the same circuit as the Big Muff with first pair of clipping diodes and post tone gain stage removed. Doesn't sound like much but they're pretty significant differences soundwise.
sonicvi
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 08:17
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Electric Warrior » 19 Aug 2009, 15:41

sonicvi wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:There's two or three different layouts for the jumbo circuit with vertical controls.

some have slightly different resistor values (39k instead of 33k and 10 instead of 8k2) and/or component types (ceramic caps vs. styroflex). What I believe to be the earlier units have tropical fish caps instead of the greenies.
The values of the ceramic/styro caps may vary as well, but it's hard to see in the pictures I found. I've seen styroflex caps with a 500pf color code. Others have the number 220 printed onto them (or is this the voltage rating?). The ceramics in the ebay pics are 470pF. Does anybody have some more data?
And I'm not quite sure about the small cap at lug 1 of the tone pot. is it supposed to be 0.003µF or 0.004µF?


It's usually .0039uF and that's what the original schematic calls for. Sola Sound called the B&M circuit "Fuzz A" and it is identical to the Jumbo with the exception of a 220K resistor at the output. I'm not sure what the purpose of that resistor is as it reduces the volume quite a bit. The pots are usually either all log taper or log for the volume and sustain and linear for the tone. Everything else about this circuit is pretty much evident from the photos and the "Fuzz A/Jumbo Tone Bender" schematic on the web. I think everybody pretty much knows by now the Jumbo is the same circuit as the Big Muff with first pair of clipping diodes and post tone gain stage removed. Doesn't sound like much but they're pretty significant differences soundwise.


right, it says "Fuzz A" on the schematic and on the trace side of the circuit board.
thanks a lot for your help!

this is where the B&M porn is: http://dam.10.forumer.com/viewtopic.php ... es+mullins
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby peps1 » 01 Sep 2010, 23:28

Anyone come across a PCB layout for the B&M Fuzz Unit/3rd party Jumbo Tonebenders? :hmmm:
Image
User avatar
peps1
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 20:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 56 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby celadine » 02 Sep 2010, 04:15

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/

all kinds of goodies there; look under "projects".
User avatar
celadine
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 208
Joined: 22 Aug 2007, 07:12
Has thanked: 16 times
Have thanks: 16 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby peps1 » 04 Sep 2010, 01:38

Going the DIY route :D

Anyone happen to know the make and model of POTs, so I can get the pin spacing to scale the board?

Image
Image

For this message the author peps1 has received thanks:
Belanger88 (30 Oct 2016, 00:04)
User avatar
peps1
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 20:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 56 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Scruffie » 04 Sep 2010, 01:50

peps1 wrote:Going the DIY route :D

Anyone happen to know the make and model of POTs, so I can get the pin spacing to scale the board?

Aren't they the same Pots that EHX used? I think 24mm Pots have a fairly standardized pin spacing unless you use those other EHX ones with more spread out legs.
Scruffie
Opamp Operator
 
Posts: 1745
Joined: 13 Mar 2009, 18:59
Location: London.. ish, Uk
Has thanked: 28 times
Have thanks: 144 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Electric Warrior » 04 Sep 2010, 01:53

They're Radiohms. No idea what happened with Radiohm, their products were available until recently. Replacements are available from Omeg amongst others..
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby sonicvi » 04 Sep 2010, 09:05

I used the right angle 16mm pots from Small bear in my clones and they just about fit the original spacing. I couldn't find the original type pots anywhere.
Image
sonicvi
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 160
Joined: 30 Dec 2007, 08:17
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 12 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Electric Warrior » 04 Sep 2010, 16:03

Tyco/Citec makes Radiohm replacements as well..
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby peps1 » 04 Sep 2010, 16:19

mmmmmm......still finding variants in the pin spacing for the Tyco/Citec/Omeg Radiohm replacements (you got a model number for the 24mm Radiohm color sound used in this bad boy?)

Would be nice to drill the pot pads large enough to allow use of original, and 16mm Alpha pots :hmmm:
Image
User avatar
peps1
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 20:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 56 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby SPeter » 04 Sep 2010, 21:54

peps1 wrote:Going the DIY route :D

Anyone happen to know the make and model of POTs, so I can get the pin spacing to scale the board?

Image


Luckily I have some of these old pots!I realy love them! Pins(lugs) are 1mm wide and distance from lug 1 to lug 3 (center to center) is 10 mm!
:D
SPeter
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:10
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 76 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby SPeter » 04 Sep 2010, 22:29

Scaled to the above mentioned distance(10 mm)!
Enjoy!
:D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SPeter
Cap Cooler
 
Posts: 573
Joined: 08 Jan 2008, 22:10
Has thanked: 7 times
Have thanks: 76 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby Electric Warrior » 05 Sep 2010, 01:14

peps1 wrote:mmmmmm......still finding variants in the pin spacing for the Tyco/Citec/Omeg Radiohm replacements (you got a model number for the 24mm Radiohm color sound used in this bad boy?)

Would be nice to drill the pot pads large enough to allow use of original, and 16mm Alpha pots :hmmm:


I believe these are the right ones:

radiohm.png


The Omegs are identical:

Image

So are the Citecs:

citec.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author Electric Warrior has received thanks:
Belanger88 (30 Oct 2016, 00:05)
User avatar
Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
 
Posts: 729
Joined: 23 Feb 2009, 04:37
Has thanked: 21 times
Have thanks: 89 times

Re: B&M Sola Sound - Fuzz Unit

Postby peps1 » 05 Sep 2010, 01:42

Electric Warrior wrote:
peps1 wrote:I believe these are the right ones:


Thanks Electric Warrior, with a 10mm pitch that fits in with SPeter...... sincerely thank you for taking the time to help! :D

Etched a test board, and found a couple of minor things i need to change to get it BANG ON authentic........ but will post with amended files tomorrow :D

Now the fun part of working out the component layout
Image

here is the photo im working from, incase anyone is handy with resister color codes and wants to help :wink:
Image
Image
User avatar
peps1
Solder Soldier
 
Posts: 247
Joined: 12 Oct 2009, 20:37
Has thanked: 2 times
Have thanks: 56 times

Next

Return to Vintage Stompbox Corner ( ... - 1975)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests