Craig Anderton ultra fuzz 1975 sch

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Hey Guys I was trying out a schem drawing program and dug out my original 1975 Craig Anderton projects book and drew the Ultra Fuzz schematic. Does the polarity on b2 look right?

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Sunn Model T

Post by Dr Tony Balls »

I have a much more recent version of the book, and the schematic of the ultra fuzz is QUITE different than that. Make of that what you will.

Also, what are you drawing with? Visio or Omnigraffle or something? Into it.

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

I used a free download called expressSCH which is included with expressPCB. Then I copied it into paint and and made my own ground and battery symbols because I don't like the ones that come with the program. ExpressPCB provides free design software ( not trial ) so you can design a PCB and they will manufacture it for you. Looking at there finished boards they look very similar to the ones GGG sell but that is just speculating. I know this book has been revised many many times over 34 years and I'm sure his projects have been refined. I'd be interested to see what the later version looks like. Is it also powered by 2 9v batteries? He also calls this a "Noiseless Fuzz" because it has a natural GATE effect.

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Photos of the original!

ImageImage
ImageImage

patafix
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by patafix »

The polarity of B2 looks right : the negative side towards the negative supply of the opamp.

This circuit rerminds me a lot of the opamp muff fuzz made by EH, except that there are no diodes in the feedback loop of the second opamp. This second opamp is at full open loop gain... creating the gating effect !
Patafix... so sticky

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Thanks for that I think I'm gonig to build one and I'll let you know how it turns out. Maybe even a sound clip.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

you could use a max1044 for getting a bipolar supply out of a single battery. it might simplify things... or not. :wink:
looking forward to hearing how this pedal turns out, i've always been intrigued by it.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Question. My first attempt at this circuit failed but I built it with 2 741 op amps rather than 1 dual. I havent looked closely at it yet to determin where I went wrong. I have dual op amps but they are bi-fet and I wasn't sure they would work properly. The only other substitution I made was a 100p rather than 150p between pins 2 and 3 of opamp 1. I greatly appreciate any advise. If it is to get the right op amp and use the layout in the book what should I use in place of a 5558? sorry for my newby ignorance.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

you did use two batteries, right?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Yes I used 2 batteries in bi polar configuration. I'm rebuilding now with a dual op amp should be done tonight.

fgibford
Information

Post by fgibford »

Well I finally got back to this and got it finished sounds pretty good and I'd like to put a sound clip on but not sure how to go about it. My recording setup records to wav files and when I convert them to mp3 they sound like crap. Whats the best way to record a sound clip and put it on the internet? Is there something like photobucket for music? preferably for wav files.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by RnFR »

i've seen many people use soundclick. not sure about .wav files though.

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

For fuck sake! I cant understand this thing

I'm doing layouts for this and I can't comprehend that powering. It does uses two stereo jacks yeah? For input, and for output.

Input jack's middle (slave) lug is battery minus, tip is circuit input to switch, ring is circuit ground

Output slave is battery PLUS, tip output connection to switch, ring is what? V+? V- will short...

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

Ok, now I see in Andersons book totally different project... Name's the same, but different IC, additional controls, much more parts...