Shin-ei/Jax - 8Tr Fuzz Wah  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

MoreCowbell wrote: ...I just didn't know that the SF and the 8Tr were "the same" (with the exception of I think a 22k on the input IIRC). I figured there would be a few more differences between the 8Tr and the SF ...
Don't forget the 8TR uses film input/output caps. At least the one with fuzz and wah on the same pcb. The Royal Double Effect Machine has separate boards (fuzz and inductorless wah) and the fuzz board looks like it came straight from a small box SF.

I'll say it again, there IS an FY-2 based version. Maybe some day I'll find the files related to it.
Dick joke has expired.

MoreCowbell
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by MoreCowbell »

Dan N wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:

I'll say it again, there IS an FY-2 based version. Maybe some day I'll find the files related to it.
I may have photos of one somewhere in one of my hard drives. I've only seen one or two. I'm pretty sure there's nothing like the "Tone Selector" switch on the FY2 version, so it is different than the version the OP is referring to. I'd love to see what info you have on that version Dan. I'm sure its just a straight FY2, but it might be fun to check. :D

rs
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by rs »

Thank's for the link tube-exorcist :D :D .
This thing is now up and running.
:horsey:

Tubedriver
Information

Post by Tubedriver »

I have this Japanese Shin-E Fuzz/Wah I acquired years ago. It’s a really nasty sounding pedal. I’m sure if it ever becomes highly desirable for its tone, the end of the world will be near. Not sure the date of manufacture, but I understand why it’s no longer made. This is the same company that made Univibes. Anyone know about what year it was made?
Attachments
IMG_0694.JPG
IMG_0694.JPG (48.78 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
IMG_0702.JPG
IMG_0702.JPG (47.5 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
IMG_0703.JPG
IMG_0703.JPG (55.89 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
IMG_0704.JPG
IMG_0704.JPG (49.42 KiB) Viewed 5680 times
"The only thing worse than bad guitar players playing good pedals, is bad guitar players playing bad pedals" -Tubedriver

tcobretti
Information

Post by tcobretti »

I had one of the these years ago. It is very similar to the Univox Superfuzz. The wah really sucked. If I still had it I'd be really tempted to mod the wah, but I'd try to keep it as original looking as possible. BTW, it came with a rubber sleeve on the pedal, which looks to be lost on yours.

Oh, and I don't know what year it was made.

RnFR
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YBA-III, Fender Super Six
Completed builds: custom fuzz.

Post by RnFR »

please use the search function. the 8tr fuzz/wah was the first one to come up when shin ei fuzz wah was searched for.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO

Tubedriver
Information

Post by Tubedriver »

Yes, the rubber sleeve was never on it as long as I've owned it, probably 30+ years. It now has adhesive reflective highway tape. The grip is amazing. "Don't cross that double white line, or you’ll get pulled over", got ya!

Play this pedal and you will get pulled over. Only intended for use in the privacy of your own home.
"The only thing worse than bad guitar players playing good pedals, is bad guitar players playing bad pedals" -Tubedriver

Solidhex
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Solidhex »

Ah

Weird. That fuzz wah shown in the pics has electro in/out caps. Like they mentioned above those ones with the fuzz and wah's on the same board have .1uf input and output caps. I've seen early fuzz wahs that have separate boards for the fuzz and wahs. Must be a transition model.

--Brad

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

Tubedriver wrote:I have this Japanese Shin-E Fuzz/Wah I acquired years ago. It’s a really nasty sounding pedal. I’m sure if it ever becomes highly desirable for its tone, the end of the world will be near. Not sure the date of manufacture, but I understand why it’s no longer made. This is the same company that made Univibes. Anyone know about what year it was made?
48.10 on the stamp means October 1973, 1973 was the 48th year of the Showa year count in Japan, This was what I came up with years ago when I was really into dating all my stuff, there's Shin-ei/Companion manufactured pedals both before and after this date with Showa year OR Western year date stamps, it seems to have been up to the person in charge at the plant at the time....I have a Fuzz/Wah dated 72.10 for example
/ MB

Tubedriver
Information

Post by Tubedriver »

So, the Showa year started in 1925? 48 years from then is 1973.

grizzlytone
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by grizzlytone »

Tubedriver wrote:So, the Showa year started in 1925? 48 years from then is 1973.
1926 it seems, check this out; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirohito

and this; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_year

I also seem to remember that they omitt one number because it is associated with bad luck or something

/MB

Tubedriver
Information

Post by Tubedriver »

So technically we are now in the 01 Obama year and there will be 3 max because of bad luck or something. I will start dating my pedals accordingly. Just kidding!

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

here a good quality picture of the schem
Attachments
8TR_FUZZ_WAH.jpg
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

and here one of the small brothe, the 6TR Fuzz Wah
Attachments
6TR_FUZZ_WAH.jpg
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

grizzlytone wrote:
Tubedriver wrote:I have this Japanese Shin-E Fuzz/Wah I acquired years ago. It’s a really nasty sounding pedal. I’m sure if it ever becomes highly desirable for its tone, the end of the world will be near. Not sure the date of manufacture, but I understand why it’s no longer made. This is the same company that made Univibes. Anyone know about what year it was made?
48.10 on the stamp means October 1973, 1973 was the 48th year of the Showa year count in Japan, This was what I came up with years ago when I was really into dating all my stuff, there's Shin-ei/Companion manufactured pedals both before and after this date with Showa year OR Western year date stamps, it seems to have been up to the person in charge at the plant at the time....I have a Fuzz/Wah dated 72.10 for example
/ MB
Mine seems to say 10-10. That can't be right, can it? :scratch:

IamJon
Information

Post by IamJon »

Guys and Gals,

I have one of these and would like some advice on how to fix it. It has a lot of hiss in the fuzz. Is this normal or does it have some bad components? I am ready for the jokesters to chime in but really, I don't think it should have so much hiss.

Thanks in advance.

jbgron
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: Orange OR-120

Post by jbgron »

I would replace all the electrolytic capacitors, made mine sound 10x better.

IamJon
Information

Post by IamJon »

Thank you for the suggestion. I'll bet you are correct.

IamJon
Information

Post by IamJon »

OK so I finally replaced all of the electrolytic capacitors (12) and I think it sounds better. I can't tell because I am not going to put the old ones back in. The unit still has a lot of hiss when the fuzz is selected. When I play chords the hiss is either not there or is drowned out buy the guitar signal. When I stop playing, the hiss comes back strong.

Is this normal for these units?

Krindsem
Information

Post by Krindsem »

Have a red 8tr that i have a problem whit ,the fuzz fade away to nothing in a few sek.when i pull out the jack on the instument side and put it in again the fuzz works again for a few sek. And fades away to no sound ,when i hit the strings hard i can hear a crackle .anyone know what the problem is ? :hmmm: