A/DA - Final Phase  [schematic]

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

http://www.adadepot.com/adagear/gearpag ... -Phase.htm

and trasce side from e-bay......

Boris
Attachments
!BoIcKdwBmk~$(KGrHqQH-EYEtr+qYv,RBLmT6ORrhg~~_12.JPG
!BoIcKdwBmk~$(KGrHqQH-EYEtr+qYv,RBLmT6ORrhg~~_12.JPG (48.51 KiB) Viewed 6531 times

Bernardduur
Transistor Tuner
Information
my favorite amplifier: Welagen - ODR

Post by Bernardduur »

Schematic can be found on the page Boris added!
'No more....... loud music.......'
Follow my love for pedals and amps on https://bernardduur.blogspot.com and https://www.instagram.com/bernardduur1

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

Bernardduur wrote:Schematic can be found on the page Boris added!
:thumbsup that is the reason why I did that :)

Boris.....

does enybody have the real thing?...those sound clips are not so special...? or I am mistaking?

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Those soundclips aren't the best are they but I always hear good things about this box...
I'm hoping now there's the reissue's out some people will post some new youtube demos of it because I still haven't quite found a phaser I really like so I have high hopes for this one.

SPeter
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by SPeter »

Thanks Bore!
:applause:
:thumbsup
:D

Ed22
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Ed22 »

Scruffie wrote:Those soundclips aren't the best are they but I always hear good things about this box...
I'm hoping now there's the reissue's out some people will post some new youtube demos of it because I still haven't quite found a phaser I really like so I have high hopes for this one.

it doesn't sound as "standard" phasers do...

Ed.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

Ed22 wrote:
Scruffie wrote:Those soundclips aren't the best are they but I always hear good things about this box...

it doesn't sound as "standard" phasers do...

Ed.
Hmm that's actually kinda nice, certainly reminds me of 70s phasing off some kind of TV Theme tune or something (although that could be the riff being played) not too sure about the overdrive though and a tad too complex to probably be worth cloning.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

I cannot believe this? No schematic?
Attachments
ADA-Final-phase-30-188p-102779-corrections-010480.pdf
ADA Final Phase layout
(828.5 KiB) Downloaded 284 times
ADA-Final-phase-list-capacitors-for-drawing-1087.pdf
ADA Final Phase BOM II
(386.46 KiB) Downloaded 214 times
ADA-Final-phase-list-resistors-for-drawing-1087.pdf
ADA Final Phase BOM I
(321.63 KiB) Downloaded 210 times
ADA Final Phase schematic
ADA Final Phase schematic
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

I cannot believe this....only one schematic? :lol:

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

You mention in the gut shots thread that there are some issues in the schematic, care to elaborate?

I breadboarded that weird OD pot set up a while ago, seems to work okay with just a standard pot and not a tapped one.

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

Hey Scruffie,

The Sweep Modulation pot (P3) is drawn incorrectly on the factory schematic 1087. (version 7)
When the control is turned clockwise, there should be more resistance between the inverting input and the output of the modulation oscillator op amp. (IC5B)
Version 5 (vactrol version) is drawn incorrectly as well. The factory schematic 1069 (version 9) is drawn correctly. It usually wouldn't matter, you could switch the wires on the lugs but...my build includes board mounted pots as in the original.

After I sourced some dual 50K center tapped pots for another project, I too bread boarded the drive circuit. I found that both ways worked as a drive control but, the center tapped version attenuated the drive output a bit.
Since then I found a trace side image which shows the drive area. I was able to verify that it is not a center tapped pot.
I still can't understand why it was drawn in that fashion!

Now for some good news! Yesterday was my Birthday. (that's not the good news) I decided to purchase a Birthday present for myself.
I bought a Final Phase, (reissue) and a NOS A/DA Control Pedal A.

After these items arrive, I'll dig in and reverse the reissue. I'll also be able to take readings for the clock adjustments.

The build I'm working on includes true bypass, a power supply input that accepts 18VDC or 12VAC, (as I did with the Mutron Flanger) a drive switch indicator LED, and a NPN buffered rate indicator LED for the IN/OUT effect switch.

The build is a bit smaller than the original, (fits in a 1590X enclosure) includes long pin, right angle board mounted pots, and board mounted low profile footswitches. (smaller footprint)

Here is a "sneak peek" of the board.
Attachments
ADA Final Phase board.jpg

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

I received the reissue Thursday...and have been hard at work tracing the circuit.

It's a double sided board, smaller than the original, mostly 1/8W resistors.

The promo releases, and the user manual say that the drive section has been changed to a more "modern" sound. All that I see is an increase in gain and a cap added in the drive feedback loop. I guess louder/more distorted is "modern." :hmmm:

I post the schematic when finished.

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

Here's the Final Phase reissue schematic.
Attachments
ADA Final Phase Reissue.jpg

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

Reissue schematic PDF:
Attachments
ADA Final Phase Reissue.pdf
(99.39 KiB) Downloaded 348 times

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

It's 4047/4007 time again, can't beat it for pils widdle moddle

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

uncleboko wrote:It's 4047/4007 time again, can't beat it for pils widdle moddle
Yes...one of my favorite clocks as well.

A couple things of note:

The component designations on my drawing do not match the actual circuit board designations.

The resistor designations are printed under the resistors. It would have been necessary to pull all of the resistors to record the exact numbering.

All of the .47µf caps are monolithic ceramic. (MLCC) These caps were designated in the original factory documents.

The reissue circuit compared to the original.
My thoughts are...the reissue seems to have changes that appear to be nothing more than to lower the component count/cost.
I feel that the original had better local IC power filtering.
The reissue shares the voltage reference between the LFO and the signal path op amps. The original had separate VR.
The reissue is a double sided board with mostly 1/8W resistors. The reissue pc board is about 15% smaller but..is housed in the same sized enclosure as the original so...what is the advantage?
The original used quite a few tantalum capacitors for power filtering. The reissue uses less costly aluminum electrolytic caps.

I may add the reissue drive section to my build but..I'm pretty sure that I would have to include the reissue's changes in the feedback circuit, (Intensity) and the output section to compensate for the added drive gain.

Pokfor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Rock Seasons

Post by Pokfor »

Hello!
My job.
1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG
4.JPG
Scheme
Final Phase.JPG
PCB File
Final Phase.zip
(141.08 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
The device is designed to use the body Gainta B023
6.JPG
I could not find this on the VCO tuning frequency is determined therefore on the rumor turned out range from 40kHz to 1 MHz. If someone known to the factory settings will be very grateful.
Made more modification changes the waveform with the LCO with the triangle on the sine wave.
Mode.JPG
Mode.JPG (10.54 KiB) Viewed 5490 times
5.JPG

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Great job!!
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

armdnrdy1
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by armdnrdy1 »

I'm not sure which version you based your build off of....but this is the reissue frequency reading.
I took frequency readings at the test point (pin 10) of the 4047.
With all controls CCW and the Range control CW, I measured:
min. 34kHz
max. 537kHz
The reissue CV is 15 volts. The original is 5 volts.
There are changes in the CV section (IC5D) and the LFO section of the reissue, but I would imagine that the clock frequency would be the same for both versions.