Rangemaster - Fuzzbug

Discussion regarding early stompbox technology: 1960-1975 Please keep discussion focused and contribute what info you have...
fuzzbug
Information

Post by fuzzbug »

Hello
Here is an old pedal that I found a few years ago. Can not find any info about it and just wondered
if anyone is familiar with it. Transistors are 3X Mullard OC75, cast aluminum box and it sounds great!
Any information will be appriciated
Thanks
Fuzzbug
fuzz bug 001.jpg
fuzz bug 001.jpg (93.35 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
fuzz bug 003.jpg
fuzz bug 003.jpg (93.57 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
fuzz bug 005.jpg
fuzz bug 005.jpg (107.37 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
Attachments
fuzz bug 002.jpg
fuzz bug 002.jpg (112.08 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
fuzz bug 008.jpg
fuzz bug 008.jpg (70.33 KiB) Viewed 4448 times
fuzz bug 006.jpg
fuzz bug 006.jpg (84.72 KiB) Viewed 4448 times

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

The pcb looks very much like in a Marshall Supa Fuzz (or Vox Tonebender Pro Mk II).

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Electric Warrior »

Not only "very much", it's spot on. Everything about it looks right. I'm surprised to see a mustard cap in there, but I have pictures of a very early Supa Fuzz from the same period that has an unusual cap in the same position.

fuzzbug
Information

Post by fuzzbug »

Thanks ,
do you know of this company (Rangemaster).
It doesn't seem like a DIY job so I wonder who made it and when.
cheers
FB

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Sola Sound must have made it. Never heard of a Rangemaster company.. There's a treble booster by Dallas that was called Rangemaster, though, but it's probably unrelated.

tatter
Information

Post by tatter »

And did Dallas possibly nick the Fuzz Face from the Sola Sound MK1.5? Maybe this is another leaked design to Dallas?

Edit: And further to this, the MKII is basically just a Fuzz Face/MK1.5 with a Rangemaster stuck on the input.

So maybe it has got something to do with Dallas?

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

Arbiter (not Dallas Arbiter I believe. they must have merged at a later point) sure copied the MK1.5. What do you mean by "leaked"? Espionage? That wouldn't have been necessary, as they simply could have bought one to copy the circuit. Or they had the same text books. It's a common text book circuit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_f ... f_feedback

It certainly is possible that Dallas intended to use the Rangemaster name for a whole line of effect units, but why would they outsource the production to Sola Sound if they were capable of building pedals in house?

The buffer stage (correct?) of an MKII is not quite a Rangemaster imho..

tatter
Information

Post by tatter »

Electric Warrior wrote:Arbiter (not Dallas Arbiter I believe. they must have merged at a later point) sure copied the MK1.5. What do you mean by "leaked"? Espionage? That wouldn't have been necessary, as they simply could have bought one to copy the circuit. Or they had the same text books. It's a common text book circuit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Negative_f ... f_feedback

It certainly is possible that Dallas intended to use the Rangemaster name for a whole line of effect units, but why would they outsource the production to Sola Sound if they were capable of building pedals in house?

The buffer stage (correct?) of an MKII is not quite a Rangemaster imho..
Yes this is very possible, but you would have had to have been pretty quick off the mark, not only to buy a MK1.5 as they weren't around for long, and also to bring out the Fuzz Face so quickly. I'm not sure what year the MK1.5 was first in production but the Fuzz Face was 1966 according to the all knowing wikipedia :D

I'm suggesting that one person was building for Sola Sound and trying to get more companies to manufacture their designs and get a cut of the profits. The Fuzzbug could possibly be a prototype tendered to Dallas Arbiter that never saw production.

Or Sola Sound could just have been offering a sideline to Dallas Arbiter like they did with the Marshall Supa Fuzz or the Vox MKII Professional. I don't see why Sola Sound would build something with the 'Rangemaster' name on it otherwise. But who knows :scratch:

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

I rewrote large portions of that wikipedia article. It's still not perfect, as it's not easy. There's hardly any proper (i.e. quoteable) sources around and the ones that exist are full of mistakes.. I think I should have quoted David Morin's article for the date. According to him it "first appeared on the market in the autumn 1966." http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/Gag ... icles/fuzz
I don't know if it's true. I have pictures of a very early one with 12-6 pot codes.

We know that the MK1.5 was availble by February 1966. http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... n&start=30 (see dazed & confused's unit).
Arbiter had plenty of time to make it happen.

tatter
Information

Post by tatter »

Electric Warrior wrote:I rewrote large portions of that wikipedia article. It's still not perfect, as it's not easy. There's hardly any proper (i.e. quoteable) sources around and the ones that exist are full of mistakes.. I think I should have quoted David Morin's article for the date. According to him it "first appeared on the market in the autumn 1966." http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/Gag ... icles/fuzz
I don't know if it's true. I have pictures of a very early one with 12-6 pot codes.

We know that the MK1.5 was availble by February 1966. http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/viewtopic ... n&start=30 (see dazed & confused's unit).
That Fuzz Face article is really good.

I think you're probably right about the timeline. This fuzz probably sits in the same category as the Marshall Supa Fuzz, Vox Tone Bender MKII and Rotosound MKII pedals. All built by Sola Sound but for other companies. A very interesting pedal nonetheless, i wonder how many more obscure variants there are out there.

fuzzbug
Information

Post by fuzzbug »

Great links! thanks .
I would love to here from anyone with a similar pedal.

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

tatter wrote:
Electric Warrior wrote:I rewrote large portions of that wikipedia article. It's still not perfect, as it's not easy. There's hardly any proper (i.e. quoteable) sources around and the ones that exist are full of mistakes.. I think I should have quoted David Morin's article for the date. According to him it "first appeared on the market in the autumn 1966." http://www.custom-sounds.com/epages/Gag ... icles/fuzz

That Fuzz Face article is really good.

I think you're probably right about the timeline. This fuzz probably sits in the same category as the Marshall Supa Fuzz, Vox Tone Bender MKII and Rotosound MKII pedals. All built by Sola Sound but for other companies. A very interesting pedal nonetheless, i wonder how many more obscure variants there are out there.
Thank you :) I'll keep working on it. I also messed with the treble booster article.. If anybody here has a clean Fuzz Face, Rangemaster, Hornby Skewes Treble Booster, Vox Treble Booster or Orange Power Boost and some photographing skills, please donate some pictures :wink:
fuzzbug wrote:Great links! thanks .
I would love to here from anyone with a similar pedal.
It's obviouslay one of the rarest Tone Benders. Maybe the first of its kind being documented on the internet. I haven't even heard of anybody ever mentioning this one. You're a lucky man!
You might want to visit the D*A*M forum to hear more from Tone Bender and Supa Fuzz owners. We're already discussing your pedal there ;) http://stompboxes.co.uk/forum/index.php

jlee
Information

Post by jlee »

tatter wrote:And did Dallas possibly nick the Fuzz Face from the Sola Sound MK1.5? Maybe this is another leaked design to Dallas?

Edit: And further to this, the MKII is basically just a Fuzz Face/MK1.5 with a Rangemaster stuck on the input.

So maybe it has got something to do with Dallas?
It's been rumored that Hurst had a informal working relationship with Arbiter resulting in the Fuzz Face. :secret:

Sickle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by Sickle »

Mr Fuzzbug, that's one rare bird you have there. If I could give you some sound advice, I wouldn't be surprised at all if you soon get a small flood of offers for the pedal from certain collectors. Rest assured, whatever you are offered, the true value of this pedal is likely double or more, so keep a cool head when guys start waving cash at you.

fuzzbug
Information

Post by fuzzbug »

Thanks.
This is turning to be a very intersting story, I really appriciate all your input and enthusiasm.
As I understand there is a way of dating using pot codes. Sustain pot says 216 1k LIN, so maybe thats a clue.
Cheers
FB

Electric Warrior
Diode Debunker
Information

That would be the 21st week of 1966. Same code as in a Super Fuzz David Main used to have. His Vox MKII has 216 and 266 pot codes. That particular Vox seems to be a rather late one, so I guess they bought many pots at once or they didn't empty their dealer's stock for a while :)

Dan N
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Dan N »

Hey fuzzbug, thanks for showing us your cool pedal! I dig the enclosure! Kind of more economical than the Marshall and Vox door stops.
Dick joke has expired.

fuzzbug
Information

Post by fuzzbug »

Economical door stop indeed and a very expensive one ...

chrisalis
Information

Post by chrisalis »

early 2trans.
early 2trans.
The other c.h. knob must be around somewhere!
The other c.h. knob must be around somewhere!
> Hi, I stumbled upon your posting by chance and remembered that I had one of
> these old pedals kicking around in a box in the garage!
> I bought this pedal brand new in perhaps 1966 (it's a long way back!) from
> Macari's in Denmark Street. I remember buying it and travelling on the
> train from my home in Essex with a friend especially for this new wonder
> box!
> In Macari's window were a line of perhaps three or four Fuzzbugs along with
> three or four Tonebenders that had just come out.The Tonebender as I
> remember, was slightly more expensive.

jrod
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by jrod »

Wow, cool!

Neat to see another one of these floating around.

Welcome and thanks for the pics!