air brake?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
rockgod212
Information

Post by rockgod212 »

I have seen some layouts for this air brake attenuator, I want to build one for my 100watt marshall clone, I have a 25ohm/100watt rheostat coming for this build. anybody have any ideas on how to build it with the rheostat instead of the variable resistor thing? any help gretly appreciated.

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Unless I've missed the point a rheostat IS a variable resistor (just wire wound) What you need is and Lpad which is very different. (2 rheostats with 1 common wiper)
Either way if you wish to attenuate a 100 Watt amp you will need a lot more than a 100 watt rheostat otherwise it will overheat and likely burn out and take the Amplifier with it. :shock:
Search for *attenuater* on this forum as there have been a few posting on that subject,, have no time right now to find them.
Phil.

rockgod212
Information

Post by rockgod212 »

AirbrakeLayout.jpg
what I was planning on doing is this. it would still have the 25ohm 100 watt shunt resistor, I will omit the 25ohm 100 watt variable leg resistor( want to use the 25ohm 100watt rheostat here,) I will omit the 150ohm 50watt rheostat and use a power resistor here, omit the switch is the goal. just need advice on wiring it, should I just trace the path and wire it accordingly. is this airbrake not capable for a 100 watt head, I don't plan on diming it, just to get a bit more power thing going on.