Pignose Legendary 7-10 value?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

Can anybody tell me, for what price i can really by the "Pignose Legendary 7-100" in middle Europe, for example? (It is a small battery powered guitar travel amp).

DWBH
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by DWBH »

I remember seeing one for about 40-50 euros.

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

Thanks! I live in Russia, and there it costs 5500 rubbles (~160 euro if course is 35 rubbles/1euro. :shock: Not bad bisness, isn't it?). I want this beast and now a think how can I have it. I will search a variants... :roll:

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Hmmm... wha´s so special with this unit ?
look out for an old russian transistor radio and you´ve got it.... (same technology).

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

analogguru, it is very interesting for me. I experimenting with this topology and have some interesting results. I have test different transformers (sizes and w1/w2), wide range of russian Ge transistors (it can be easy to find them here in Russia now), different schematics etc. I have searched some information about Deacy amp. I can speak long about this topology and my experiments. For example, it have not any emitter followers, I can experiment with RC, direct or transformer coupling of stages and this topology is a unic, which very close to valve amps, realized in transistors. And even more words.... :)
I have a schematic of 7-100 (but only one resistor value confused me), but I want THOUSE transformers, speaker and cabinet :) And I want to hear the REAL thing and compare it with my created amps.
PS: I have ~ 10 old russian transistor radios :lol: (I am interesting in this theme as I say above), but all of they have very little transformers - they are create to work with a sufficient amount of feedback in the schematic. They gives good results under 1.5V power supply without a feedback but they are a little quet (how is to say "not loud" in english? :oops: ) There are some interesting russian amplifiers of thouse topology was created in 60s-70s (3-5 watt car radios and etc. with a normal transformers), but they are very hard to find now.

"This is far from all that I can say about the war in V'iethnam" (C) - cover version of that Forrest Gump's phrase

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

:hmmm: But the Deacy-amp also only had only 0,5 watt and was made from an old transistor-radio - as far as I know.

The Pignose also uses feedback (from output to the emitter of the first transistor).

The Pignose uses silicon transistors whether I am pretty sure that the Deacy used germanium.

As far as I know the Piggy-in-a-box contains the same amplifier inside as the 7-100.

Which resistor value are you confused about ?

analogguru
There´s a sucker born every minute - and too many of them end up in the bootweak pedal biz.

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

"Audio engineering suffers from misinformation, disinformation, and downright lying more than most fields of endeavour." - where I can read it? :lol:
1. Some resourses says 1 watt. And some says about CAR radio. This may means, that it was construct to run from 12v power supply and to run on the 3 ohm power receiver. And I think that John Deacon uses it with 9v and 8 or even more (up to 20) ohm speaker. This 2 things reduses output power very much. May be down to 100 mwt or less.
2. I know about feedback and Si in Pignose. But there are different deeps of feedback can be in amps, yes? :wink: I personally prefer lite feedback or without it. And I see dimensions of the transformers on my radios, Pignose, but what they were in a Deacy? :hmmm:
3. And what about Si-Ge? The Pignose is Si, but I can reconstruct it to unrecognizible state :)
4. What is "Piggy-in-a-box"? Where I can see it. And where I can take it? :D
5. Resistor - shunt of the primary of interstage transformer. Two schematics what I have says about 68E or 680E. I dont beilive in this. As for me, even 6.8k wood be small. Maybe they measure it but really measure the primary wire ohm?

If you have a schematic of 7-100 - can you share it for more concretic speak?

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

Ivana wrote: "Audio engineering suffers from misinformation, disinformation, and downright lying more than most fields of endeavour." - where I can read it ? :lol:
There were you read that it was a CAR radio.
1. Some resourses says 1 watt. And some says about CAR radio.
bullshit.... I already sorted this out here:
https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... y&start=18
This may means, that it was construct to run from 12v power supply and to run on the 3 ohm power receiver. And I think that John Deacon uses it with 9v and 8 or even more (up to 20) ohm speaker. This 2 things reduses output power very much. May be down to 100 mwt or less.
thats useless speculation based on BS.
2. I know about feedback and Si in Pignose. But there are different deeps of feedback can be in amps, yes? :wink: I personally prefer lite feedback or without it.
All of this type of amplifiers use feedback - even russian
"Orbita" schematic
"Signal" schematic
"Sport 2" schematic
Thats necessary in this toplogy.
And I see dimensions of the transformers on my radios, Pignose, but what they were in a Deacy? :hmmm:
Like in every (japanese) radio of this time:
3. And what about Si-Ge? The Pignose is Si, but I can reconstruct it to unrecognizible state :)
Therefore you don´t need the pignose then. The most important parts are the transformers and (Ge-)transistors.
4. What is "Piggy-in-a-box"? Where I can see it. And where I can take it? :D
Do you know "Google" ?:
http://www.google.at/search?as_q=&hl=de ... afe=images
It´s a 7-100 in stompbox form (without speaker I think):
5. Resistor - shunt of the primary of interstage transformer. Two schematics what I have says about 68E or 680E. I dont beilive in this. As for me, even 6.8k wood be small. Maybe they measure it but really measure the primary wire ohm?
680E appears to be right.
If you have a schematic of 7-100 - can you share it for more concretic speak?
I think you have the same two as I do - the schematic with the 680E apears to be a factory schematic.

analogguru

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

about 1 watt
https://fryerguitars.wordpress.com/about-fryer-sound/
http://www.brianmayworld.com/treble_booster.htm
... + tons of "bs"
about Car
http://www.portlandmusiccompany.com/brianm.html
http://www1.epinions.com/review/VOX_Bri ... 5597602436
... + tons of "bs"
Maybe all of this is bs - I dont know. I started to read your Deacy topic in details. But 12 or 9 v and even more - 3 or 20 ohm makes a big differenties on power and sound.

"Thats necessary in this toplogy." (about feedback) - and this is real bullshit! Dont say anithing if you dont know. Or confidence to your other words falls up to zero.

Thanks for the transformers dimentions (integer numbers is santimeters? or duims? or anything else?), remembering the google, and resistor value - but I very surprized in it! It eats 2/3 of signal imho.
About Pignose - a think it would be simplier to take a whole amp than only transformers. Am I right? And plus to this I want hear the real amp to comparison.

PS I read your topic winh a big interes. This is, that I want to read or speak with anybody during about a year or more :wink:
Last edited by Ivana on 28 Nov 2008, 22:44, edited 1 time in total.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

"Thats necessary in this toplogy." (about feedback)
- and this is real bullshit! Dont say anithing if you dont know. Or confidence to your other words falls up to zero.
I can live with that.

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

I guess it is true. Else I would not say anything what can kill you 8) But there are many schemes this topology without ANY (local and global) feedback, and existans of they is sufficient to me to dont beleive you in this case.

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I guess it is true. Else I would not say anything what can kill you But there are many schemes this topology without ANY (local and global) feedback, and existans of they is sufficient to me to dont beleive you in this case.
Possible.... there exists enough electronic junk.
But from an viewpoint of - for audio-playback acceptable - amount of distortion you need it, especially when there is no temperature stabilization, which sometimes is also not fitted.
And when you consider that the transistors often are not really matched...

analogguru

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

I can not find quick examples in internet, but I many times read that schematics in books and try myself. Even venerable AC30 have not global fb - not a good example!? Or it is also "electronic junk"? Or a half of SE prinstones have fb an other half dont. Yes, it valves, but it is not principial in this case.
In some cases global fb are used for temp stabilization, but it must be ON DC current to! And in all our cases it only AC fb.
Yes, you are right, that fb reduses "amount of distortion". And for this aim it was incerted in such amps. But I create amps to play guitar with 8) , and any "amount of distortion" is good for me. But fb eats cleverness espesially on high freqs imho. Althow (forget how to write this word), as I say above, we can simply tweak the deepness of fb from 0 to 100%.

chris067
Information

Post by chris067 »

HI all,
Very interesting topic...
Here are some Pignose 7-100 schematic diagrams I have collected :

Talking about transistors, I have recently bought a new Pignose ,
same schematic as the first one, but with different trans.
Here are the resistors used on mine :
driver : 2 x S9014 NPN silicon
output : 2 x TIP41C NPN silicon

I have also measured transformers values :
driver trans : input 40 Ohms / output 2 x 25 Ohms
output trans : input 2 x 4 Ohms / output 0.3 Ohms and 1.1 Ohms

Does anyone know how to replicate these 2 transformers ?
I dont really feel disassembling them to count the many wire turns !

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

Hi, Chris.
1) "I have also measured transformers values" - imho you just measure only DC resistance of its wires. It dont say anything exept you can see diameter of wires and therefore calculate the length of wire and a quantity of cycles. You better will being measure the inductances of each wire - this can say much more. But as I think you have not a problem to take another Pignose or even 10, for what aim you want to know the transformer parameters and replicate them? 8)
2) If you want - can you test subj without 680E in collector T2 or with bigger R in this place? Like on 3-d scheme. And tell us about the sound.
3) The same thing with fb resistor :D

chris067
Information

Post by chris067 »

Hi Ivana,
Yes you are right, it would be better to measure wire inductance. Do you know a simple way to do this ?
(i own an oscilloscope,and a BF sine generator)
I want to replicate transformer so I can build another pignose. Since I am a child, I do like the challenge
of replicating things, like completely restoring old cars, building amplifiers, software or whatever. Not to sell them of
course, but just to be proud of replicating by my own way ! I recently build a Vox AC30 top boost replica, from
combinating ac30 preamp and other amps, with a simple EL84 output valve. It works very well.
Next step for pignose is injecting a sine signal and trace all values from input to output.
and yes, i'll try the mods you are talking about. Just need some time to do it !
Last thing, I have bought some output transformers very near to the pignose one :
2 x 3.5 Ohm / 2 x 0.6 Ohms. As soon as i get them, i'll have to try them.
I have alse bought some input BF transformers (1 Ohm / 50 Ohms,), but they will be no use as there is no "middle point".
Here is my own AC05 !

chris067
Information

Post by chris067 »

No one interested anymore ? Uh, what a pity !
Anyway, here are some measurements I have done :

input signal : 200 Hz, injected sine signal 4mV, vol pot set to 1/4,
T1 input (base) : < 1mV
T2 input (base) : 6mV
T2 output (collector) : 48mV
Tr1 output : 2 x 16mV
Tr2 input : 2 x 260mV
+HP input : 180mV
feedback signal (before 68K res) : 220mV

Does it help ?

Ivana
Information

Post by Ivana »

Not so much :)
But this information may help you http://forum.guitarplayer.ru/index.php?topic=72219.0

analogguru
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by analogguru »

I didn´t forget this matter, but my time is a bit short at the moment - I will come back later to it.

analogguru

chris067
Information

Post by chris067 »

Thanks for your interest both of you !
Here is a translation of russion forum measurements :

Regimes on the direct current (DC), relative to the common wire:
supply voltage by 8,8
voltage of supply of preamplifier 8,6
base of first transistor 0,7
emitter of first transistor 0,16
resistor 47 Ohm 0,018
collector of first transistor 7,2