Zvex - Nano Head

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!
borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
Dipthonizer,seekwah,Talkingpedal,morleywha
...soulpreacher,dynacomp,compulator
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
...CE-2,ibanez fL301,EH theCloneTheory
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

bajaman wrote:As a side note - The Blackstar Dual HT pedal uses a very elegant switching power supply system - I have reversed it and will put it up in a new DIY ready to build project thread very soon for all those folks that would like to get 300v DC from a 15v DC supply rail. But be careful :!: - 300v DC can give you more than a little "tingle" :wink:
stay tuned
bajaman

hi Baja man.....I would love to see this 300v solution !!!
in mine tube wah, I made one with 4049 chip,and bunch of mdiodes and caps.........only made 170 volts(of 12v dc)................................

boris :thumbsup

deeleyer
Information

Post by deeleyer »

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by frequencycentral »

I'm using this SMPS in my submini tube amp experiments at the moment:

http://www.ledsales.com.au/kits/nixie_supply.pdf

With the (low current) inductor I have at the moment I'm able to dial in between 99v and 199v, I can go higher, but the inductor burns out due to the current it's pulling. I see no reason why this one shouldn't give out 300v with a suitable inductor. The inductor is everything in these SMPS's, the higher the current it can handle, the higher the possible voltage output. Also, the more voltage you want out of it, the more hungry the SMPS is for current.

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information
Completed builds: ...script phase90,ETI phaser,Ross phaser,mutronC200,vox wah,WH10,FW-3,mutronIII,DrQuack,Penfoldautowah,Tubezipper,
...buzzaround,fuzzfactory,screwdriver,sho,superdouper,St-9,RogerMayer octavia,Tychobrahe octavia,paralelluniverse,string damper,slowgear
EHX bassmicrosynth,EHX EnglishMuffin,Tube Phaser,springtubereverb ,greyDOD,FulldriveII mosfet,OCD,VOX repeat percussion,RingStinger,Meatball,12stage phaser....

Post by borislavgajic »

thanks! :D

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

Sorry, was unaware of this thread, so I posted the Mini Head project files received through an anonymous contribution here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=5156
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

borislavgajic
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by borislavgajic »

can enyone tell me how to DIY reverb transformer???
number of turns....primar, sec.....wire??

thanks

boris

GJonesy
Information
my favorite amplifier: Laney AOR, Vox AC30, Blackstar HT-5
Completed builds: COT 50, Landgraff, CJOD, SHO, Sili FFace, zendrive, eternity, zvex-machine, fuzz factory, woolly mammoth, crunchbox

Post by GJonesy »

Hi, quick question for "briggs".
Could you explain why this requires a 6021w tube rather than 6021? (I didnt think there was a big difference)
Could I use 6111/6111w in place of this?
cheers
G

briggs
Tube Twister
Information
my favorite amplifier: Briggs Custom Suprono
Completed builds: Too many to still class myself as sane....

Post by briggs »

Hi there, the 6021 is only rated for around 160V on the plates (If I remember correctly), the "W" version is capable of handling those higher voltages that are present in the Nano. Here is a good page with furthur info on mini amps and submini tubes : http://amps.zugster.net/projects/subminiature

I am Klon.

GJonesy
Information
Completed builds: COT 50, Landgraff, CJOD, SHO, Sili FFace, zendrive, eternity, zvex-machine, fuzz factory, woolly mammoth, crunchbox

Post by GJonesy »

briggs wrote:Hi there, the 6021 is only rated for around 160V on the plates (If I remember correctly), the "W" version is capable of handling those higher voltages that are present in the Nano. Here is a good page with furthur info on mini amps and submini tubes : http://amps.zugster.net/projects/subminiature
Thanks for clearing that up, so if I'm understanding this right, can I use 6111w as a replacement (http://tubes.mkdw.net/sheets6.html) or I could drop the voltage of the entire circuit to ~100v and run the "normal" 6111/6021? Does this mean I could then use max1044 to get this voltage?

Thanks G

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

You could possibly but it would no longer sound the same. The lower voltage will alter the tone quite a bit; more compression and a lower overall output level.

I am Klon.

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

7327 is a (mil spec) high voltage alternative to the 6021WA, and will handle a 250 volts at the plate. Rare as rocking horse shit though. I have a couple, but have never seen anymore on Ebay.

6111 has a gain of 20
6021 has a gain of 35 (as does the 7327)
6112 has a gain of 70! Nice - I'm tinkering with these at the moment.

I wouldn't hestitate to run a submini way above it's rated voltage, they are tough little f#*%ers, I've abused mine in various ways, never killed one yet.

GJonesy
Information

Post by GJonesy »

thanks for the advice Rick, I'm going to try to build your Murder one first and see how it goes before (perhaps) starting into this. Looks like i'll have to get me a transformer or two! Ive been searching for tubes on ebay and have managed to get a selection ordered from the US. Also HotroxUK sells the 6021W for £12
Cant wait to see your next set of projects

briggs
Tube Twister
Information

Post by briggs »

GJonesy wrote:Also HotroxUK sells the 6021W for £12
Just down the road, near the ice arena!

I am Klon.

GJonesy
Information

Post by GJonesy »

briggs wrote:
GJonesy wrote:Also HotroxUK sells the 6021W for £12
Just down the road, near the ice arena!
Yup, I work about 100m from the place! He's got a great stock of effects, i have to leave my credit card at home every time I visit!

Evz
Information
Completed builds: TS9
Big Muff
Micro Amp
Phase 90
Fuzz Face
Rangemaster

Post by Evz »

Hello there, i'm a n00b here, and total n00b to mini amp building, ive done pedal builds, but was very interested in this type of build, and i was reading though jjs.at article on his class A amp, and he suggest using the nixie power supply module (of course, i do not want to use a 120v transformer), now on his site, he says to use 12vdc to power the heaters, if i use the 12v and substitute the nixie circuit for his power circuit, how will i have to combine/ modify them to place in the power section of the jjs class a amp? (that is so i would get sufficient voltage output for the tubes) or is his design stable enough (theortically?)

thanks!

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Evz wrote:Hello there, i'm a n00b here, and total n00b to mini amp building, ive done pedal builds, but was very interested in this type of build, and i was reading though jjs.at article on his class A amp, and he suggest using the nixie power supply module (of course, i do not want to use a 120v transformer), now on his site, he says to use 12vdc to power the heaters, if i use the 12v and substitute the nixie circuit for his power circuit, how will i have to combine/ modify them to place in the power section of the jjs class a amp? (that is so i would get sufficient voltage output for the tubes) or is his design stable enough (theortically?)

thanks!
Submini dual triodes such as the 6021 have a heater requirement of 6.3v, so you can power two tubes' heaters in series from 12 volts. The nixie supply JJS links to is the one I posted a few posts up from here. It works great, and is better regulated than the supply JJS used, in that the BC547 keeps the voltage stable. JJS's supply is a little dangerous as only the zeners protect it from running wild. The nixie supply is sufficient to power a number of tubes' plates, I've even used it in a PP config with good results. Use a high current inductor and a 12 volt supply of at least 1 amp to give enough juice to the heaters and inductor.

Evz
Information
Big Muff
Micro Amp
Phase 90
Fuzz Face
Rangemaster

Post by Evz »

ok, that clarifies, that, now how where/ what exactly in the jjs schematic will i be inserting the nixie supply? Like i vaguely see where it will go, but i am not sure due to the b1 and b2 nodes, would it be possible to get a guide/ schematic for that?

also umm.. wats 'pp'?

and, would i be able to use this configuration (JJS/ nixie power) along side the nano head schematic as well?

Thanks!

Edit: any idea for the spec on the inductor? (i've found one similar to the jjs, but he states one with 10x less the inductance would work)

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Evz wrote:ok, that clarifies, that, now how where/ what exactly in the jjs schematic will i be inserting the nixie supply? Like i vaguely see where it will go, but i am not sure due to the b1 and b2 nodes, would it be possible to get a guide/ schematic for that?

also umm.. wats 'pp'?

and, would i be able to use this configuration (JJS/ nixie power) along side the nano head schematic as well?

Thanks!

Edit: any idea for the spec on the inductor? (i've found one similar to the jjs, but he states one with 10x less the inductance would work)
The output of the nixie supply would go to B1 in JJS's schematic. Then look at JJS's power supply R7 and C8, put those two components after the output of the nixie supply and that's your B2.

PP is push/pull, like the JJS class a/b amp schematic.

This inductor would do it, the 100uh or 150uh:

http://www.rapidonline.com/Electronic-C ... /79278/kw/

Please note that the nixie supply can give you quite a jolt, probably won't kill you (unless you are very very very small) but it pack a belt. Take care.

Evz
Information
Big Muff
Micro Amp
Phase 90
Fuzz Face
Rangemaster

Post by Evz »

Haha, yes thank you for the precaution, i have not had any bad experiences with pedal building and hope not to have any with these small amps!

For the nixie into the jjs suply, the 1000u cap will be replaced with 330u as i see, tube power stays the same, fan power stays the same, do i need to keep r2 and the two blue leds?

Ok, now for pedals i almost always use 1/4w carbon film resistors, i realize for these amps id need something with higher ratings; i noticed that jjs' only has one identification of a 2w resistor, should i use 1/2w resistors for the rest?

And for the AB amp, if i use the nixie, the tubes will stay the same, will i be replacing R1 all the way to B1 in the same manner?

Sorry for all the noob questions....

frequencycentral
Cap Cooler
Information

Evz wrote:Haha, yes thank you for the precaution, i have not had any bad experiences with pedal building and hope not to have any with these small amps!

For the nixie into the jjs suply, the 1000u cap will be replaced with 330u as i see, tube power stays the same, fan power stays the same, do i need to keep r2 and the two blue leds?

Ok, now for pedals i almost always use 1/4w carbon film resistors, i realize for these amps id need something with higher ratings; i noticed that jjs' only has one identification of a 2w resistor, should i use 1/2w resistors for the rest?

And for the AB amp, if i use the nixie, the tubes will stay the same, will i be replacing R1 all the way to B1 in the same manner?

Sorry for all the noob questions....
No - ditch the JJS supply altogether and use the nixie instead, just add R7 and C8 from JJS's supply to the output of the nixie to create your B2.

You can use 1/4w resistors throughout.

As for the AB, I'm not sure you could use the nixie for that too, 5902's are pretty hungry tubes, when I tried it my bench supply kept tripping, I presume because the tubes' plates were trying to pull more ma than the nixie could put out. Worth breadboarding and posting you results though! :D