Smallest amp ever?

Tube or solid-state, this section goes to eleven!

Smallest amp ever?

Postby allesz » 31 Jan 2010, 22:48

I had bad luck recently on my mission to build an overdrive capable of driving a speaker too:http://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8239
For this kind of thing I think I will go back to lm386 (any alternative someone?).

Anyway I built this: it is so simple and stripped down it makes you laugh... but it works great and gives a good clean sound too; no distortion was available on this IC, but the volume is very good, maybe louder than lm386.

It is now my new practice amp, I built it inside a carboard box with four small speakers (two from an old laptop and two from... I can't remember) the battery is held in place by some tape inside the "cab".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

For this message the author allesz has received thanks:
rocklander (25 Apr 2012, 21:03)
allesz
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 119 times

Re: Smallest amp ever?

Postby lolbou » 31 Jan 2010, 22:53

So it runs on 9V? Any idea of the current draw?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.
lolbou
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 233 times

Postby allesz » 01 Feb 2010, 12:53

Hallo lolbou, I noticed you changed your public image; did you recently had a baby? If so congratulation.

Yes, I power the amp with a 9V battery, but you can go as low as 3V according the datasheet. I have no idea of current draw, the datasheet don't give any direct information about it and I don't know a way to find it out by myself.

I only use it for praticing on the couch by night (the volume is quite loud when wife and babies are sleeping, so you will have to roll down a bit the guitar volume or the overdrive output) and I expect a single battery to last long (a couple of month maybe).
allesz
Cap Cooler

Postby lolbou » 01 Feb 2010, 13:11

allesz wrote:Hallo lolbou, I noticed you changed your public image; did you recently had a baby? If so congratulation.

Yes indeed, thanks! :D

allesz wrote:I have no idea of current draw, the datasheet don't give any direct information about it and I don't know a way to find it out by myself.

I should have gieven a look at it... :slap: But I guess you could place an ammeter in series between the 9V and the pin 1 and send a sine wave to estimate the average draw...

I have a TDA8941P from an old TV here and would like to try it, for guitar or iPod, I don't know...

The input imedance is quite low for a guitar, did you try it using a buffer to notice difference in sound?
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.
lolbou
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 233 times

Postby allesz » 01 Feb 2010, 18:27

Buffer.... well (they are misterious thing to me), I use the thing mostly by itself, but sometimes with a booster-driver made by me: viewtopic.php?f=13&t=7806; even if it is not a proper buffer I have to say that the sound does not change too much in term of volume/quality.

Compared to lm386 this IC gives you less flexibility in terms of sound, but it seems more clean, stable and reliable, and the one sound it gives is a good one.

TDA8941P seems similar to the tda7052... but it has a couple of pin I don't understand. It could be a good amp for music too (maybe the input cap can get bigger in that case) but it is a mono chip.
allesz
Cap Cooler

Postby allesz » 08 Mar 2010, 17:55

Yesterday I changed the first battery on the amp, the sound was getting more and more distorted and the volume was going down...
I used it quite a lot jamming almost daily on my couch with just an overdrive (boss od3, dod metal maniac, tube screamer and some other things made by myself) and sometimes a delay pedal.
So the power consumption seems to be on the low side... I think this thing will follow me on holiday :D
allesz
Cap Cooler

Return to Amplifiers