"Maggot Brain" fuzz

Anything non-technical you want to talk about, talk it over and have beer ...

"Maggot Brain" fuzz

Postby deadllama » 16 May 2010, 18:06

I've been listening to a whole lot of Funkadelic lately, and I can't figure out what fuzz pedal Eddie Hazel is using on the "Maggot Brain" album (specifically the tracks "Maggot Brain" and "Super Stupid.") Whatever it is, it sounds really mis-biased and sputtery, and awesome.

Anybody heard that song and have any ideas? Is it just a germanium Fuzz Face under a heat lamp or something?

Surely there are some fellow P-Funk fanatics around here :mrgreen:
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: "Maggot Brain" fuzz

Postby Scruffie » 16 May 2010, 18:21

deadllama wrote:I've been listening to a whole lot of Funkadelic lately, and I can't figure out what fuzz pedal Eddie Hazel is using on the "Maggot Brain" album (specifically the tracks "Maggot Brain" and "Super Stupid.") Whatever it is, it sounds really mis-biased and sputtery, and awesome.

Anybody heard that song and have any ideas? Is it just a germanium Fuzz Face under a heat lamp or something?

Surely there are some fellow P-Funk fanatics around here :mrgreen:

Love that album, according to someone online (so take it with a pinch of salt) he has been quoted as saying he used this gear, I can't say what was on the particular album though:
Fender Showman Head w/ 2X12 cabinet
Music Man HD212 Combo
Marshall JMP 100 heads and 4X12 cabinets
MXR Phase 90
Echoplex Delay System
Fuzzface, Fulltone '70, and other various fuzz pedals
Dunlop Crybaby Wah

A Cranked Marshall, a Half Cranked Wah & Germanium Fuzz Face with the Echoplex on top? It could well be...
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 138 times

Postby Nocentelli » 16 May 2010, 19:55

Scruffie wrote:Fulltone '70

Seems unlikely.

Scruffie wrote:A Cranked Marshall, a Half Cranked Wah & Germanium Fuzz Face with the Echoplex on top? It could well be...

Could well be.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 837 times

Postby deadllama » 17 May 2010, 05:50

Could it be that one variant of the Maestro fuzz with the squelcher built in, the FZ-1B? Just a shot in the dark. I haven't built one of those yet.

And unless Fulltone was making the '70 in 1971, there's no way in hell that's what was on that track. Though if someone told me George Clinton had a time machine, I'd probably believe it.
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Postby Scruffie » 17 May 2010, 06:25

As I said... that list was from the internet, not to be trusted... although the Fulltone 70 is just... a fuzz face so what does it matter (possible he owned it before Eddies death though... it might just have been in production...)

Anyway, other than that, it's said he used a Univox Superfuzz but I don't think he used a Maestro FZ-1, I think you'd get very close with a half cocked wah, Fuzz Face (perhaps misbiased slightly? or the wah interacting badly with it) A cranked amp & some Echo & Reverb... plus Eddies Fingers... the gear will only get you so far.
Scruffie
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 138 times

Postby deadllama » 17 May 2010, 06:34

Scruffie wrote:As I said... that list was from the internet, not to be trusted... although the Fulltone 70 is just... a fuzz face so what does it matter (possible he owned it before Eddies death though... it might just have been in production...)

Anyway, other than that, it's said he used a Univox Superfuzz but I don't think he used a Maestro FZ-1, I think you'd get very close with a half cocked wah, Fuzz Face (perhaps misbiased slightly? or the wah interacting badly with it) A cranked amp & some Echo & Reverb... plus Eddies Fingers... the gear will only get you so far.

Oh, yeah, I'm certainly not making any claims to be Eddie Hazel. I just dig the "all of my equipment is dying simultaneously but I'm going to finish this take" sound on the last bit of "Maggot Brain" and the sputtery sound on "Super Stupid." There's a track on the new Black Keys record that has almost that same exact gated/choked sort of sound and it got me wondering what the hell was wrong with Eddie Hazel's fuzz pedal during those sessions :hmmm:

I've got a GGG silicon Fuzz Face and a Super-Fuzz clone... I'll start abusing the trim pots and see what I can come up with.
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Postby RnFR » 17 May 2010, 08:22

I wouldn't be surprised if after throwing down ten minutes of some of the hottest sleazy psychedelic rock ever made, it got a little bit warm in that little funky studio... and the the leakage started to flow. 8)

on a similar note, i have heard stories about guitar solos where the amp was actually smoking at the end of the take. i think it was angus?
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 174 times

Postby Dan N » 18 May 2010, 09:14

I suspect Mr. Clinton added a lot of that dying fuzz stuff when he added the feeding back tape echos and stuff. Either that, or he used his EQ to omit all but the crackliest sounds.

The alternate mix is still fuzzy, but does not go as far as on the album track. Plus, you get the backing percussion and keys. Those cats (Fulwood and Worrell?) were feeling it and added some tasteful ambience.
Dick joke has expired.
Dan N
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby chicago_mike » 18 May 2010, 18:45

Skyline FX 2013
chicago_mike
Opamp Operator

Have thanks: 279 times

Postby deadllama » 18 May 2010, 19:25

Dan N wrote:I suspect Mr. Clinton added a lot of that dying fuzz stuff when he added the feeding back tape echos and stuff. Either that, or he used his EQ to omit all but the crackliest sounds.

The alternate mix is still fuzzy, but does not go as far as on the album track. Plus, you get the backing percussion and keys. Those cats (Fulwood and Worrell?) were feeling it and added some tasteful ambience.

I hadn't thought about that. Maybe he ran that track through another fuzz pedal out of the mixing board or something? I've heard of outboard compressors and limiters, but never outboard fuzz... I would think those impedances would be totally wrong and sound, well, horrible. Which it does, in the best possible sense.
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Postby Dan N » 18 May 2010, 20:20

I'm completely studio ignorant. Maybe pick attack/volume knob/and mastery of the wah to coax that nasty sound.

Anyway, here's the other mix:

10-Maggot Brain _Alt Mix Recorded 1971_.mp3 - 21.97MB

My first upload to zshare. Hope it works.
Dick joke has expired.
Dan N
Resistor Ronker

Have thanks: 19 times

Postby deadllama » 19 Jun 2010, 05:35

I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I built a Fuzzrite clone using Gus Smalley's "Ritefuzz" circuit/vero layout tonight, and stuck some BC109C's in it, and out of nowhere, I was able to get really close to the snarly sound of the fuzz toward the end of "Maggot Brain" at the top of the Blend pot. I instantly remembered this thread... maybe Eddie Hazel had a silicon Fuzzrite laying around.
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Postby RnFR » 19 Jun 2010, 13:21

deadllama wrote:I know this thread has been dormant for a while, but I built a Fuzzrite clone using Gus Smalley's "Ritefuzz" circuit/vero layout tonight, and stuck some BC109C's in it, and out of nowhere, I was able to get really close to the snarly sound of the fuzz toward the end of "Maggot Brain" at the top of the Blend pot. I instantly remembered this thread... maybe Eddie Hazel had a silicon Fuzzrite laying around.

the Fuzzrite and the Ritefuzz have the same sort of circuit topology, but they are a bit differently biased and very different in frequency response. if you are diggin the Ritefuzz, then you should really try the Green Bomb. :wink: it tales it all a step further. more gain, more tone control, more sleaze! you can find it in the ready to build section or in my blogspot site linked below.
"You've converted me to Cubic thinking. Where do I sign up for the newsletter? I need to learn more about how I can break free from ONEism Death Math." - Soulsonic

Blog-APOCALYPSE AUDIO
RnFR
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 174 times

Postby deadllama » 19 Jun 2010, 17:08

RnFR wrote:the Fuzzrite and the Ritefuzz have the same sort of circuit topology, but they are a biy differently biased and very different in frequency response. if you are diggin the Ritefuzz, then you should really try the Green Bomb. :wink: it tales it all a step further. more gain, more tone control, more sleaze! you can find it in the ready to build section or in my blogspot site linked below.

Interesting. I built the Ritefuzz without actually looking at a Fuzzrite schem, just because I had a tiny little piece of vero and didn't know what to do with it. (The Ritefuzz layout is 8x8 :mrgreen: ) I've seen the talk about the Green Bomb lately and I like all of the clips I've heard... I may have to check that out.
deadllama
Breadboard Brother

Postby roseblood11 » 30 Sep 2018, 23:27

D*A*M makes a fuzz named the "Maggot Brain". It's based on a silicon fuzz face. Maybe the name was chosen as a reference to the mentioned Eddie Hazel album?
http://stompboxes.co.uk/MB-71.html
Can somebody contribute the exact parts values? The resistor codes might be visible on the photo, the rest is not.
roseblood11
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 309 times

Postby mictester » 04 Oct 2018, 01:54

deadllama wrote:Could it be that one variant of the Maestro fuzz with the squelcher built in, the FZ-1B? Just a shot in the dark. I haven't built one of those yet.

And unless Fulltone was making the '70 in 1971, there's no way in hell that's what was on that track. Though if someone told me George Clinton had a time machine, I'd probably believe it.

The Phase 90 is from the end of the '70s too.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"
mictester
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 790 times

Return to Freestomp Café!