Preferred PCB design software

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...

What is your preferred PCB design software.

DIYLC
14%
Eagle
40%
Express PCB
10%
Diptrace
19%
PCB123
1%
Other (Explain)
17%

Total votes : 101

Re: Preferred PCB design software

Postby mijomo » 28 Nov 2012, 21:33

ndlm wrote:
azrael wrote:Eagle's ability to show unconnected wires with airwires is pretty goddamn amazing. I use to get terrible layouts in DIYLC all the time.

I really admire all the people that use DIYLC.. They must have nerves of steel, constantly worrying about connecting components. I draw my schematic, and the program takes care of my connections.

Here are my software explorations: :horsey:
I used Eagle, then switched to Altium. In my opinion, Altium is the best PCB design software in the universe. Downside: a little expensive :mrgreen:
Tried Kicad - controls were too user-unfriendly, tried Dreamspark, seemed okay, but not too great. Tried Autotrax, looks excellent, but it is a little slow on my laptop.
I finally tried Diptrace - and fell in love with it :)

Are there any guides or videos that Altium may have that would make it easy to get started doing the basic schematic and pcb designs that common effects pedals call for? I haven't used any 'pcb' software as of yet only Adobe Illustrator to design the boards.
mijomo

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby ndlm » 01 Dec 2012, 17:54

yeah here's their wiki
http://wiki.altium.com/display/ADOH/Tutorial+-+Getting+Started+with+PCB+Design
i think there are tutorials on youtube.
But I must admit, it is a difficult program to master. Give Diptrace a try - everything is easy and logical ;)
ndlm

Have thanks: 3 times

Postby Ice-9 » 02 Dec 2012, 12:18

ndlm wrote:yeah here's their wiki
But I must admit, it is a difficult program to master. Give Diptrace a try - everything is easy and logical ;)

I have at times used diptrace to design PCB's as I'm quite used to it, then I can import it into Altium to do the rest of what I need it to do. I should really spend some time with Altium and get to learn it more.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 357 times

Postby Alois_Ch » 03 Dec 2012, 16:42

I agree, EAGLE is the best software available right now.
Beside the Software, the PCB Tutorials and Videos are great, too.
I've learned so much with this stuff :D
Alois_Ch

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby hgamal » 04 Dec 2012, 21:16

other = kicad
hgamal

Have thanks: 6 times

Postby azrael » 05 Dec 2012, 17:34

ndlm wrote:yeah here's their wiki

Definitely takes a lot of practice, and there are still a lot of problems I encounter while using, mostly when changing footprints or parts. It's not very intelligent at updating the PCB haha.
azrael
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 93 times

Postby KMG » 06 Dec 2012, 09:29

other = KiCad
Example 4 layer pcb

JCM800 tube preamp
KiCad
Real
KMG
Solder Soldier

Have thanks: 85 times

Postby J0K3RX » 17 Jun 2014, 06:07

I would like to retract my earlier post/comment about "AutoTRAX Design Express 2020".... I use KiCad, Diptrace, Sprint and they are all excellent!

I am posting this to warn others about AutoTRAX Design Express 2020 (DEX)!!! I saw it in late November 2012 and purchased it (MISTAKE!) registered it and it worked for about 6 months until I launched it one day and this woman's voice came blasting over my speakers and said "OH NO!!!" and a message that said "Demo Period Has Expired" wanting me to purchase again. :hmmm: So, I tried to sign in with the "Sign On ID and Password" that they sent to me... Guess what, yup, no longer valid.. shocker huh.. :scratch: So then I emailed them and sent them messages online and got no response, at all! I don't know about other people but I work hard for my money so, I don't like it when somebody or some company bends me over and gives it to me up the pooper!!! :evil: I have trolled other forums and have seen a lot of complaints about this software, a lot.. It looks impressive with all the features.. And guess what, not all that easy to use as they claim! I am just glad that I could contribute to this company's success with my FREE donation of $49.00 :evil:

For $49 this is the claim:
This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!
Yeah!? Bullsh!t.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Check it out, but be warned!
http://www.kov.com/

For this message the author J0K3RX has received thanks:
rocklander (17 Jun 2014, 06:54)
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 481 times

Postby sinner » 17 Jun 2014, 16:02

Not cool
sinner
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1099 times

Postby Dirk_Hendrik » 18 Jun 2014, 18:11

Not cool indeed.

And 49 dollars is dirt cheap. From a pro users experience I'd consider that almost the fee for a monthly use.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com
Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand

Have thanks: 1009 times

Postby mookyj » 17 Jul 2018, 07:01

Been doing PCB's since 1974, cad in 1992 with Pads 2000. Mentor Pads VX is my current tool set with either Power Logic, DX designer or Orcad for Schematics.
mookyj

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Ice-9 » 18 Jul 2018, 16:21

J0K3RX wrote:I would like to retract my earlier post/comment about "AutoTRAX Design Express 2020".... I use KiCad, Diptrace, Sprint and they are all excellent!

I am posting this to warn others about AutoTRAX Design Express 2020 (DEX)!!! I saw it in late November 2012 and purchased it (MISTAKE!) registered it and it worked for about 6 months until I launched it one day and this woman's voice came blasting over my speakers and said "OH NO!!!" and a message that said "Demo Period Has Expired" wanting me to purchase again. :hmmm: So, I tried to sign in with the "Sign On ID and Password" that they sent to me... Guess what, yup, no longer valid.. shocker huh.. :scratch: So then I emailed them and sent them messages online and got no response, at all! I don't know about other people but I work hard for my money so, I don't like it when somebody or some company bends me over and gives it to me up the pooper!!! :evil: I have trolled other forums and have seen a lot of complaints about this software, a lot.. It looks impressive with all the features.. And guess what, not all that easy to use as they claim! I am just glad that I could contribute to this company's success with my FREE donation of $49.00 :evil:

For $49 this is the claim:
This is the FULL version and includes free upgrades for 12 months and never expires.
Unlimited pin count, sheets, layers, parts, PCB size - in other words : everything unlimited!
Yeah!? Bullsh!t.. :evil: :evil: :evil:

Check it out, but be warned!
http://www.kov.com/

And the website name is now gone. failed.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

For this message the author Ice-9 has received thanks:
J0K3RX (21 Jul 2018, 00:46)
Ice-9
Transistor Tuner

Have thanks: 357 times

Previous

Return to Software Room