Eagle Parameters for DIY Etching

Digital tools for electronic work: software for pcb design, schematic drawing, circuit simulation, parts inventory tools, ...
DeanM
Resistor Ronker
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall VM 2466

Post by DeanM »

Hi guys!

So i know there are a few around here that use eagle to send files to fab houses to get boards built. but what about when etching at home?

What specs to you guys use for home etching?

Trace width?
Pad Drill & Diameter?
Clearance?
etc?

regards,
Dean

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

Dean

I have never used Eagle but can offer a bit of advice on track widths and pad sizes having fought many battles on this subject with the drawing office that routed our PCBs.

Make the tracks as wide as possible and pads as large as practical, within limits of course, your etching fluid will last longer having less copper to remove (see also *). If you need to change components, do mods or further unplanned development then the pads and tracks will withstand soldering/desoldering far better if they are bigger.

*Don't remove large areas of copper, make them a grounded area. You can cross hatch them to signify that they are grounded.

Small areas of copper etch quicker than larger ones. The etchant swirls over the edges of the mask as you agitate it resulting in a faster etch.

fred
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012