Building a buffer into a pcb circuit?

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
billyblunt
Information

Post by billyblunt »

Hi chaps, sorry to drag this one up again. I've previously added an independant buffer circuit board to a pedal, having two circuits in one box wired up via a 3pdt. This allowed me to have the buffer active all the time then kick in the effect, no problem. Now I've moved on & want to put these two circuits onto one pcb, different ball game or am i making it harder than it actually is? Do I simply run the buffer output to the input of the main effect or would I have to have a double output, one for the buffer & one for the effect? By this, I mean do I run a bypass from the output of the buffer to the jack via a separate output connector? I'd still like the buffer to work independent of the main effect. I'm going around in circles & I don't even know if it makes sense having just read that :roll: :roll:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

If you want the same buffer circuit to buffer both bypass and effect mode, and you are designing your own circuit board, it would need separate "buffer in", "buffer out", "effect in" and "effect out" connections. You would run the input from the input jack direct to the buffer input on the board. The board needs a buffer output, and this would go to the "input" lug of the 3PDT footswitch. The "fx send" from the footswitch would then go the input of the actual effect part of the circuit board, and the output from this section would go to the "fx return" on the footswitch. The output of the switch would go to the output jack as usual.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

i.e.
always buffered.gif
always buffered.gif (10.17 KiB) Viewed 1109 times
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

billyblunt
Information

Post by billyblunt »

cheers dude. So basically it would be two separate circuits within one pcb? The only advantage would be saving space by having one pcb rather than two separate ones? I guess the other alternative would be just to have the buffer kick in when the pedal is stomped. Then it just becomes a buffered effect. Thanks for clearing this up for me though, been racking my brains over how to figure it out :wink: