Floor based switcher

Stompboxes circuits published in magazines, books or on DIY electronics websites.
DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

This time is a floor based switcher:
- 8 independent loops
- 16 presets organised in 2 banks
- direct access mode for individual loops command
- 6 switches for changing amp channels or for other purposes

More to come
IMG_3297.JPG
IMG_3296.JPG
IMG_3293.JPG

jubal81
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jubal81 »

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Damn impressive. Epic, even. Any chance we can see inside?

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

And some pictures from the assembly process.
IMG_3310.JPG
IMG_3309.JPG
IMG_3307.JPG
IMG_3306.JPG

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Work in progress, update.
IMG_3327.JPG
IMG_3326.JPG
IMG_3325.JPG
IMG_3323.JPG

DesertCruiser
Information

Post by DesertCruiser »

dang that looks professional! I would like to make a relay switcher as well, too bad i suck at programming :D
Do you feel like sharing the code if you get it up and running?
Don't recreate - create!
(exept when it comes to puttin' Mel Schacher in a box)

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Thank you DesertCruiser, yes i can share the software but ... it would be useless without the hardware schematic because is written to use that particular hardware configuration.
Right now the schematic is a little bit bogus... as it's all bits and pieces at the moment :)

Regards,
Gabriel
DesertCruiser wrote:dang that looks professional! I would like to make a relay switcher as well, too bad i suck at programming :D
Do you feel like sharing the code if you get it up and running?

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Very nice piece of kit you have built there, and very nicely made up as well. :applause:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

DesertCruiser wrote: I would like to make a relay switcher as well, too bad i suck at programming :D
You can build a switcher just using relays, with no programming. I built a simple 4-way unit where, when a relay is activated by a footswitch, spare contacts on that relay disconnect any previously-connected relay. Any bigger than four ways and you start to run out of spare relay contacts (though you can always add relays in parallel to give you extra contacts). The circuit diagram for this is (unfortunately) on a different computer, so I can’t show you how I did it - but you should be able to work out something yourself from the information I’ve given. I remember sharing a sketch of the ideas with someone else on this site a while back who wanted to achieve something similar - so it might be worth you doing a search of the site.

I also designed a bigger, ‘programmable’ switcher (using steering diodes as ‘OR-Gate’ inputs to eight different busbars (one busbar for each of the eight ‘channels'), set by miniature DIL switches - but no actual ‘programming'). But before I could build it, Carl Martin brought out the Octa-Switch, which seemed to be exactly what I had in mind [I haven’t seen inside one of those, so I don’t know if it uses the same circuit ideas]. I decided that it would be cheaper to buy the Carl Martin device than to buy all the bits to make a professional looking version myself (though it would have been much more fun).

In the end I decided that I didn’t need such a complicated switching arrangement after all. There’s something to be said for keeping your rig as simple as possible.

Hope this helps.

Lucifer :twisted:
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Hey Lucifer :)

Yes i know the way with relays (i was using it when i was modifying some big machines), something like that:
Regarding the 2nd way, i've done it too... with diodes (i do thing that they call it: diode decoding) and if i remember well i've posted here sometime ago... mainly is the way that CM is doing the octa-switch.

But there are a bunch of diodes ... and a bunch of other parts, plus dip-switches ... everything is doable with fewer parts and a uC :D
SwitchNLopp.pdf
(32.02 KiB) Downloaded 173 times
Regards,
Gabriel

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Finally is ready :)
10620228_331170183737972_7205625313125732244_o.jpg

DesertCruiser
Information

Post by DesertCruiser »

Lucifer wrote:You can build a switcher just using relays, with no programming. I built a simple 4-way unit where, when a relay is activated by a footswitch, spare contacts on that relay disconnect any previously-connected relay. Any bigger than four ways and you start to run out of spare relay contacts (though you can always add relays in parallel to give you extra contacts). The circuit diagram for this is (unfortunately) on a different computer, so I can’t show you how I did it - but you should be able to work out something yourself from the information I’ve given. I remember sharing a sketch of the ideas with someone else on this site a while back who wanted to achieve something similar - so it might be worth you doing a search of the site.

I also designed a bigger, ‘programmable’ switcher (using steering diodes as ‘OR-Gate’ inputs to eight different busbars (one busbar for each of the eight ‘channels'), set by miniature DIL switches - but no actual ‘programming'). But before I could build it, Carl Martin brought out the Octa-Switch, which seemed to be exactly what I had in mind [I haven’t seen inside one of those, so I don’t know if it uses the same circuit ideas]. I decided that it would be cheaper to buy the Carl Martin device than to buy all the bits to make a professional looking version myself (though it would have been much more fun).

In the end I decided that I didn’t need such a complicated switching arrangement after all. There’s something to be said for keeping your rig as simple as possible.

Hope this helps.

Allright, yes that's indeed a much more "hardware" way of doing it. But what the hell, i shouldn't use that usual "analog is king" set of mind as an excuse for not learning something new. Better buy myself an arduino strarters kit and start messing with it, could be fun :horsey:

I had a thought earlier about using a relay as the signal switching component in every pedal i build and that it would be triggered with a cheap spst-footswitch.
Then there would be a small jack in all the pedals that i could connect via patch cables to a controll unit in the front of the pedal board. This controll unit would contain some sort of programmable logic unit, preferable a micro processor, that would activate the relays according to different programmable scenarios. This way i dont need to run a pair of signal wires with huge and expensive 1/4" plugs for every pedal to a switcher that contains all the relays, effectively keeping the signal wire lengt shorter and less prone to noise and crosstalk. The controll unit would also be smaller beacuse it doesen't have to hold big 1/4" jacks, only small control current jacks that also would be half the number of what would otherwise be used.
The obvious problem with this set up is that every pedal you wish to be included in a scenario, you have to build yourself! You could look upon that as a constriction, but i choose to see it as a challenge :D
DarkRain wrote:Finally is ready :)
Great work DarkRain :thumbsup Could we get a demonstration?
Don't recreate - create!
(exept when it comes to puttin' Mel Schacher in a box)

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Thank you DesertCruiser,

Yes, a video demo is on the way ... it will be made Friday (i hope) and i will post it here.

Regards,
Gabriel
DesertCruiser wrote:
Lucifer wrote:You can build a switcher just using relays, with no programming. I built a simple 4-way unit where, when a relay is activated by a footswitch, spare contacts on that relay disconnect any previously-connected relay. Any bigger than four ways and you start to run out of spare relay contacts (though you can always add relays in parallel to give you extra contacts). The circuit diagram for this is (unfortunately) on a different computer, so I can’t show you how I did it - but you should be able to work out something yourself from the information I’ve given. I remember sharing a sketch of the ideas with someone else on this site a while back who wanted to achieve something similar - so it might be worth you doing a search of the site.

Hope this helps.

Allright, yes that's indeed a much more "hardware" way of doing it. But what the hell, i shouldn't use that usual "analog is king" set of mind as an excuse for not learning something new. Better buy myself an arduino strarters kit and start messing with it, could be fun :horsey:

I had a thought earlier about using a relay as the signal switching component in every pedal i build and that it would be triggered with a cheap spst-footswitch.
Then there would be a small jack in all the pedals that i could connect via patch cables to a controll unit in the front of the pedal board. This controll unit would contain some sort of programmable logic unit, preferable a micro processor, that would activate the relays according to different programmable scenarios. This way i dont need to run a pair of signal wires with huge and expensive 1/4" plugs for every pedal to a switcher that contains all the relays, effectively keeping the signal wire lengt shorter and less prone to noise and crosstalk. The controll unit would also be smaller beacuse it doesen't have to hold big 1/4" jacks, only small control current jacks that also would be half the number of what would otherwise be used.
The obvious problem with this set up is that every pedal you wish to be included in a scenario, you have to build yourself! You could look upon that as a constriction, but i choose to see it as a challenge :D
DarkRain wrote:Finally is ready :)
Great work DarkRain :thumbsup Could we get a demonstration?

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

As i promised :)

stirfoo
Information

Post by stirfoo »

That's some fine work there DarkRain. Did you make the enclosure yourself? Get a local shop to do it?

For anyone interested in delving into programmable loopers, I've put up some files on a looper I designed here:
https://github.com/stirfoo/edloop

It's based on the Arduino UNO. I'm not an EE so it's probably far from perfect. :oops: I did bench test it though. All seemed well, just never found the time to put it all together. I thought it would be cool to have a completely open system anyone could learn from, contribute to.

DarkRain
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by DarkRain »

Thank you stirfoo. The enclosure was made in solid works, in fact the whole project was 3d modeled in SW and it was laser cut at a local shop and then bend. I will also try to gather all the details and post them but it is a fair complex project so it might take awhile.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

Just gotta say , Nice ! clean built looks great
I had got in on a sort of grp buy fx switcher at B.Y.O.C. , but the guy never sent me
my parts or board [ a good 100.00 worth ] and disappeared , so I look at your's with Envy,
and wait for a good deal on an C.M. octo . what was the parts cost ?