Vertex Boost Workalike

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

Saw this in a thread on TGP, and thought it was a worthwhile enough idea. Knocked up this workalike and breadboarded it in about 10 minutes. :lol: Expression pedal wiring will probably depend on what type you wind up using. As shown, it should work with a Boss FV500L, though I can't say for sure since I don't currently have any expression pedals on hand and can't find a schem for any of the commonly used ones.

No layout, as I didn't care enough to go past the initial design phase. I'm sure someone can knock up a vero layout if enough people are interested. Works well enough as a boost alone, and has up to 20dB of gain (vs 16dB for the Vertex), so feel free to also omit the expression out if you find it useless. Can also just use true bypass to make into into a Landau Boost workalike. :lol:
Attachments
VertexAlike.png

harmaes
Information

Post by harmaes »

How would I add an expression pedal input with a switched stereo Jack for my Klon clone?
Replacing the volume pot with the expression pedal pot is easy. I want to have the expression pedal control the range set by the position of the volume knob and off. Would that be possible?

Chugs
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Chugs »

Interesting gain control setup. How could you add a fixed low pass filter to IC1A, at say 7200z, that did not vary as you changed the amount of gain?

harmaes
Information

Post by harmaes »

Can someone create a vero layout for this? Thanks!

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

does it HAVE to be vero? I could do a really nice PCB layout easily enough...

It's really not hard to etch PCBs at home. I think people need to get back into this...it's a much more rewarding DIY experience.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

soulsonic wrote:It's really not hard to etch PCBs at home. I think people need to get back into this...it's a much more rewarding DIY experience.
+1!!
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

mmolteratx
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by mmolteratx »

FWIW, I wouldn't recommend building this one. I can do a redesign, but as is, it's kind of hissy and I'm not a huge fan of the overall performance.

okgb
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by okgb »

This is the one Robben Ford endorses ? wonder how a hissy pedal could make it to market !