I've designed a Filter Pedal for Bass

Original effects with schematics, layouts and instructions, freely contributed by members or found in publications. Cannot be used for commercial purposes without the consent of the owners of the copyright.
FUZZZZzzzz
Information

Post by FUZZZZzzzz »

you should be careful of the 7806 before giving it 18v. It says here that it should work between 5 and 18v.

https://www.engineersgarage.com/electro ... ts/7806-ic

snk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by snk »

Hello.
I built it today (nearly twice) :
First, I followed the layout i made (adding a booster in front of the original circuit) : it didn't work :(
I checked two, three times, and spent a couple hours trying to debug, without luck...

Then, i wanted to try a more "barebones" version, to see if my layout or my build is buggy, so i built the original layout (just adding a 100µF input capacitor, and omitting the output volume knob) : it works.
However, I only get a distorsion, without any filtering effect :icon_confused:
I had socketed the 4.7K capacitor and the diode, so i wanted to try different sonic flavours : removing the cap didn't change the sound, swapping the 4.7K for a 2.2K or for a 6.8K didn't produce any change either...
The filter knob doesn't seem to affect the sound either.
Changing the diodes change the sound a little bit (with a Germanium, the sound is a bit softer, less harsh in the bass range. With a 5mm red led, you have to push the input level a lot to hear some changes).

I am using a "regular' lm567cn (not a LMC567CN : does it matter ?)

I like the "core" sound i am getting out of it, but i am wondering why the filter knob and the capacitor doesn't produce any change in sound ?

[edit]
- I changed the Germanium diode by the recommended 1N4148 : it helps taming the sound a lot.
- Also, I was using a 25K pot for the filter, and a 10K is really mandatory (maybe 5K is even better ?) : the "filter" knob acts more like a "fuzz amount" pot, and with 10K it comes from "no fuzz" to "a lot of fuzz" very quickly.
- But, I am still not getting the nice filtersweep effect i can hear in the demo, and changing capacitor values doesn't seem to affect the filter sound...

FUZZZZzzzz
Information

Post by FUZZZZzzzz »

I see the layout isnt showing anymore. You can also see it in the video. Just pause and make a screenshot.