Reducing voltage from 12V to 9V on power supply

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
Super Locrian
Information

Post by Super Locrian »

Hi all,

I have a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic power supply that delivers 3 x 500 mA from three sections, 9V DC, 12V DC and 12V AC. I have exhausted the capacity of the 9V outlets (I only buy 9V pedals as a matter of principle), and so I wonder if there is a simple voltage reducing circuit that I can either put inside, or piggy-back on top of the Fuel Tank. I imagine T-Rex would just ignore me if I sent such a request to their customer support (or at best they would recommend purchasing another T-Rex product). My electronics knowledge is not exactly impressive, but I figure it should be a fairly simple deal to reduce the voltage. Is it just a matter or adding a resistor or two? I just need a simple schematic and parts list. Can anyone help? PS. I know a lot of 9V pedals can handle 12V too, but I don't want to risk anything, so I'd prefer to get the voltage down.

alexradium
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by alexradium »

Super Locrian wrote:Hi all,

I have a T-Rex Fuel Tank Classic power supply that delivers 3 x 500 mA from three sections, 9V DC, 12V DC and 12V AC. I have exhausted the capacity of the 9V outlets (I only buy 9V pedals as a matter of principle), and so I wonder if there is a simple voltage reducing circuit that I can either put inside, or piggy-back on top of the Fuel Tank. I imagine T-Rex would just ignore me if I sent such a request to their customer support (or at best they would recommend purchasing another T-Rex product). My electronics knowledge is not exactly impressive, but I figure it should be a fairly simple deal to reduce the voltage. Is it just a matter or adding a resistor or two? I just need a simple schematic and parts list. Can anyone help? PS. I know a lot of 9V pedals can handle 12V too, but I don't want to risk anything, so I'd prefer to get the voltage down.
many pedals work just as well with 12Vdc,mostly dynamics,you have to check out the specs in manuals to find out any problem with higher voltages.
Anyway,you can get 9Vdc easily with a 7809 voltage regulator and 4 caps from the 12Vdc output.
You can do the same with the 12Vac,just inserting a 4 diode bridge rectifier between the output and the aforementioned circuit.(more dissipated energy so you need a heatsink.)
Its everywhere,check out any site like Geofex or General guitar gadgets or Tonepad for complete projects

tip142
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by tip142 »

alexradium wrote:
Super Locrian wrote:Hi all,

many pedals work just as well with 12Vdc,mostly dynamics,you have to check out the specs in manuals to find out any problem with higher voltages.
Anyway,you can get 9Vdc easily with a 7809 voltage regulator and 4 caps from the 12Vdc output.
You can do the same with the 12Vac,just inserting a 4 diode bridge rectifier between the output and the aforementioned circuit.(more dissipated energy so you need a heatsink.)
Its everywhere,check out any site like Geofex or General guitar gadgets or Tonepad for complete projects
If you haven't lying around the 7809,simply put for 1n4.... in series and you drop from 12v to 9,2 v quite happily and satisfactory.
:thumbsup

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

tip142 wrote:If you haven't lying around the 7809,simply put for 1n4.... in series and you drop from 12v to 9,2 v quite happily and satisfactory.
:thumbsup
The forward voltage drop of a 1N400x is somewhere around 0.7v so you would need 4 or 5 in series to drop around 3v.

New 9v batteries are usually a bit higher, around 9.6v so 4 should be ok but it depends how accurate your 12v supply is. If you are worried then start off with 5 and measure the pedal voltage. Take one out if it is below 9v, add another if it is over 9.6V. I would add a 100uF 16v electrolytic in parallel with 0.1 disc ceramic decoupling capacitors across the 9v output.

Not the most elegant of solutions but it will work.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

bcalla44
Information

Post by bcalla44 »

Can't you do it with a 9.1 v zener diode with a resistor in series?
There are two types of people in this world, good and bad. The good sleep better, but the bad seem to enjoy the waking hours much more.
- Woody Allen

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I've actually seen some 9V batteries measure something like about 10V when measured by a multimeter.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

bcalla44 wrote:Can't you do it with a 9.1 v zener diode with a resistor in series?
You can but you waste more power because you need a certain current through the zener for it to operate properly (and 9v batteries don't have a lot to waste).

With the 1N400x you only draw the current the pedal draws, a zener needs a few milliamps extra.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

mictester
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Mesa Boogie, Roost Sessionmaster, AC30
Completed builds: Hundreds! Mostly originals, a few clones and lots of modifications.

Post by mictester »

bcalla44 wrote:Can't you do it with a 9.1 v zener diode with a resistor in series?
You can, but the resistor will just be wasting energy as heat! Also, zener diodes tend to be a bit noisy.
"Why is it humming?" "Because it doesn't know the words!"