3PDT and power

Frequently asked questions regarding powering your pedal.
sbanacho
Information
Completed builds: EA Tremolo, Tube Screamer, Fuzz Face, Green Ringer, Axe Grinder

Post by sbanacho »

Kind of a n00b question, but why when we use a 3PDT do we use one of the poles to turn on/off the LED? Why not instead turn on/off power to the whole circuit?

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Have you ever disconnected and reconnected power to a pedal when it's plugged into an amp? Massive pop.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

Nocentelli wrote:Have you ever disconnected and reconnected power to a pedal when it's plugged into an amp? Massive pop.
Is there any way to avoid that? On Off switch to disconnect battery is cool feature on pedal, but this pop is uncool...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

You could have a simple SPST switch to break the power connection, but it would pop if you forgot to turn the amp down/off before flicking the switch. A power off switch is only really neccessary if you use batteries and don't want to unplug the input cord to power off the pedal. I can't see the point in lnking this to the footswitch: Quite apart from the pop, many pedals would not work for a second or two after switching on as the capacitors need to charge, and some modulation effects need a bit of time for the LFO to get going.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

beedotman
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by beedotman »

yeah, I used rotary switch to disconnect battery when input jack is plugged, I thought there is some way to avoid this pop...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

I'm sure there's some sort of "soft power on" circuitry out there, I just haven't come across it yet.