Replacing a volume pot with a fixed resistor

Frequently asked question regarding resistors, potentiometers, types, requirements, ratings etc.
eman
Information

Post by eman »

I would like to replace the volume control Audio/log taper at the very end of a circuit with a fixed resistor. I have a preferred setting for the potentiometer in mind. I want to measure the resistance at this particular knob setting and replace it with a fixed resister (because I need to reduce the number of pots on a self-designed fuzz circuit, and this one is redundant.)
I just bought a multimeter, but I don't know how to use it to do this. Can anyone help? Thanks.

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

why not replace with a trimmer?

UZILSD
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by UZILSD »

A volume pot is usually wired as a voltage divider, so it will take two resistors to raplace it: one with the value measured between pin 1 and 2 and onother with the value measured between pin 2 and 3.

BUT replacing it with a trimmer is much a better way than replacing with fixed resistors. You won't need to measure anything: just put a trimmer with the same value, set at the preferred position with the effect on, close the box and forget it. And if you'll change your mind later, just reopen the box and adjust the trimmer.

For the way to use a multimeter, there are endless tutorial on the net, just google up a bit!