help with my component

Frequently asked questions on capacitor types, ratings, brands, use and abuse.
gearstack
Information

Post by gearstack »

Im actually new in building guitar effects. And some circuits required the 1uf film capacitor and I only have the non polar 1uf in hand. Can I use the non polar as a replacement with the required film caps? Will it do the same job as the film?

Thanks,
Chris

D-Day
Mojo Book Buster
Information
my favorite amplifier: Soldano SLO 100
Completed builds: Bazzfuss, Fuzz Face, Fuzzface SG

Post by D-Day »

Yes.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Post a schematic or layout of what you're working on in case the orientation of a polar replacement cap is important.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

induction
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by induction »

Nocentelli wrote:Post a schematic or layout of what you're working on in case the orientation of a polar replacement cap is important.
He specified that his replacement cap was non-polar.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

doh
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

gearstack
Information

Post by gearstack »

I have already replaced the film with a non polar into my circuit board. Well, its working but I didnt know if it sound the same with the film in place. Im building the guvnor with mods. And one mod here is to replace one component with a 1uf metal film. But no luck rather than placing a non polar instead. Will it have different output sound by replacing it with non polar or just the same?

Another question, Im using 1% tolerance resistor (blue ones) can I mixed it up with brown resistor under one circuit?

Thanks,
Chris

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

gearstack wrote:Will it have different output sound by replacing it with non polar or just the same?
There's a 35-page thread here "discussing" whether different cap types of the same capacitance value sound the same: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=8625

I'm fairly sure i wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a film or non-polar electrolytic 1uF cap in a blind test.

Yes, you can mix resistor tolerances and nothing will go wrong.