drilling steel cases?

Frequently asked questions about tools and instruments used in stompbox development.
JiM
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Completed builds :
Proco Rat
MXR MicroAmp in a volume pedal
TubeDriver (w/ NoS russian tube and big muff tone contol) + Phase 45 (w/ univibe cap ratio)
Dallas Rangemaster (w/ noisy OC75, negative ground)
SubCaster tube booster (w/ NoS russian tube, PtP)
Hot Harmonics
Music From Outer Space SubCommander in progress
Crackle Not OK
Simple bass blender in a 1590A
Bazz Fuss with a photo-darlington

Post by JiM »

Definately doable, better with HSS bits than unibit. And maybe some lubricant/coolant.
Just be patient.
I only give negative feedback.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Aluminium is fairly "soft" as compared to steel...

Use bits progressively (getting bigger of course, every mm or two), and a fast drilling machine (high speed only, or you'll make a triangle hole).

A "drill stand/holder" would be safe for your fingers...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

Reginald
Information

Post by Reginald »

Drilling steel isn't too difficult if you have sharp bits. If I were you I'd buy a good 1/8" bit for drilling pilot holes, and some bits in whatever size you need. You can always sharpen them again.

soulsonic
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Traynor YVM-1
Completed builds: too many!

Post by soulsonic »

I've drilled those exact cases with a Unibit without too much trouble. You might need a higher-powered drill depending on how much torque your cordless can deliver... I've seen some cordless ones that are pretty juicy so maybe you'll be fine.
"Analog electronics in music is dead. Analog effects pedal design is a dead art." - Fran

willc1968
Information
my favorite amplifier: Kustom K 200 A-4 in red
Completed builds: kay fuzz, clark fuzz, ea tremelo, green ringer, tremelus lune, a few big muffs, fuzz face and factory, sft, woolly mamoth, a bunch of tonebenders and many more that need to be boxed

Post by willc1968 »

definitely try to start out with a pilot hole and keep the bits well lubed. i will have a cap off a quart container of oil half filled and dip the bit in there prior to drilling the hole. when using the larger bits i will do a few drops of 3 in1 oil while drilling. also if you dont have one a drill press is the way to go. i got my little delta brand new for under $80 about 15 years ago. i am sure one can be had in the used market for a reasonable price. also new or well sharpened high speed steel bit are best for metal cases but i have had good luck with the cheap reconditioned carbide bits for drilling my pcbs.

Scruffie
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Scruffie »

I had a steel scratch plate drilled out for my guitar, I just took it to a local hardware type shop and they drilled out 3 holes for about £2 so that could be a possibility if your near anywhere that might have a decent drill, just an idea.