input impedance of the pedal is loading the bypass signal

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

good day

is this really bad? if your using the non true bypass wiring like this:
what makes really bad or how it worse if you mix the impedance and the bypass signal with your guitar? anything positive on this? just a little positive if your using this wiring style.

I think this thing should name "vintage stompswitch wiring" not non-true bypass because it has a bypass functionality also.
NONtrue2.gif
NONtrue2.gif (3.6 KiB) Viewed 1093 times

thanks

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

are two of the logs on the switch always connected together, or what does the colored line do?

If not, this is the same as many vintage pedals. It will load the pickups some

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

good day

what do you mean load the pick up?..it loads more high frequency or low frequency?..but i tested this kind of stompwire many times the bypass mode is the same as the normal guitar..in other words its okey to do this kind of wiring..

i wonder how the MXR distortion plus became famous inspite of this kind wiring it use?..

I think there's nothing wrong to follow this kind of stompswitch wiring..and beside its noiseless and no pops audible when you turn on the fx..its actually im using this kind of wiring to my diy pedals with led indicator. and i have no problems with pops and noise..

thanks..any opinion if im wrong..

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

You could try a value of anything between 1M and 4M7 for the resistor, and you shouldn't get any loading effects, when the input of an effect is loading down your guitar signal, it will cause a loss of highs, making the sound muffled, and it will cause distortion, so you want the input to have a very high impedance to present a light load to a signal from your guitar.... :D
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

If you are happy with it then go for it. It works!

The problem however is when using lots of pedals. The high end will suffer. You'll loose some volume too I would guess...

But as drnomis suggets a high input impedance will help. Not all pedals are easy to convert though.

If you use dpdt stompswitches you have the option of a millenium bypass solution. But if true bypass is not what you're after, then why bother.

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

Just buffer the input. Suddenly it goes from a crappy compromise to a perfectly decent system.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Just buffer the input. Suddenly it goes from a crappy compromise to a perfectly decent system.
Would you buffer the input of the effect-pcb or the input jack? I'm thinking if the buffer in your line of thought is placed before or after the switch?

ballfire
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ballfire »

hello..

for those who suffer from "pops" and "noise when you turn on your fx and using dpdt stompswitch only ..use this kind of stompswitch wiring its true bypass also..

don't worry about the millenium led indicator forget it...makes the things simpler use this kind of switching..its direct and simple..

many pedals is using this kind of wiring scheme..its alright don't be afraid..go on try it..

i think theres no volume lost..maybe put a booster if its go low..

thanks..

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

reneshelle wrote:
Hides-His-Eyes wrote:Just buffer the input. Suddenly it goes from a crappy compromise to a perfectly decent system.
Would you buffer the input of the effect-pcb or the input jack? I'm thinking if the buffer in your line of thought is placed before or after the switch?
you put the buffer directly after the input jack, yeah.
Testing, testing, won too fwee