2 in 1 with order changing

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Hi

anyone familiar with the lovetone cheese source?
Its basically the cheese fuzz and source OD in one box.

it has in > Cheese > Source > Out as standard.
So if, you plug into the input, it runs thru the fuzz, then the OD, then out.

However, it also has a pair of sockets for Cheese Out and Source In.

So the whole scheme would be Guitar In > Input of Cheese Fuzz > Output of Cheese Fuzz > Source In > Input of Source OD > Guitar Output.

This allows you to isolate the effects, or change the running order. It simply uses the 1/4 inch jacks from what I can tell, there is no latching switches to operate for this function.
Anyone got an idea of how this works practically and could draw me a diagram? Thanks.

reneshelle
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by reneshelle »

I don't know how they do it for sure, but I think it's simple. They use switched jacks is my guess. With plugs inserted in all jacks they work as normal jacks. You have your in and out of each pedal. If No plugs are inserted "between" the two effects, the two jacks work as a "jumper". If you want to change the order of the effects, it has to be done "outboard" with patch cables.

Here is how it works
mono version
mono version
jack.png (1.06 KiB) Viewed 750 times
If no plug is inserted, point a and point b are in contact with each other. If a plug i inserted the point a is bend upwards and away from b. No more contact!
simply connect point b on the send jack with point b (or a) on the return jack and the you go
stereo version
stereo version
jack stereo.gif (1.55 KiB) Viewed 749 times
I just found a stereo switched jack schematic. Same idea here, but in stereo. 3 and 5 are connected if no plug is inserted. 4 and 2 likewise

LaceSensor
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by LaceSensor »

Hi. That sounds reasonable, and kinda what I thought was going on.
I will have to find a part number for switched jacks in the UK .

cheers

IAn