Wiring a Rotary Switch

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
sevenleaf
Information

Post by sevenleaf »

Hi guys,

I am building my second stompbox after surprising myself with the success of my first, a nice little Dirty Little Secret clone.

I've done a shed-load of research on the almighty Tubescreamer and the mods that have come around through the years and am getting towards the end of my planning and starting the build at last.

The question: I'm using a rotary switch to select different combinations of clipping diodes. Is there a neat and easy way to mount the diodes on the switch itself (much how I will be providing 2 bass rollof options by mounting 2 caps on a DPDT toggle switch)?

I want to avoid having parts loose everywhere in the box!

jimosity
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by jimosity »

I know this is an old post, but I hate when I search for something and someone asks a similar question and it has no replies, so for that reason alone, heres some info about rotary switches that helped me when I was starting out.

about half way down this page.
http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Switches/

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Here is a pic of what I did one time. This is better for a mod of a pedal or somewhere you don't have room to put all the components on their own board. I think it would look cleaner if they were all on a board. Its a pain to wire it this way too, but it does work...

How it works:
The red wires are the input and output of the switch and as you turn the switch it connects them through each component.
Attachments
2012-06-17_10-51-03_804 cropped.jpg