2 in 1 wiring

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
BlueTubes
Information

Post by BlueTubes »

Two effects in one box with individual Bypass switches and a 3PDT toggle switch for reversing the order.

Look ok?

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

Hello,

I would like to know if that wiring is ok too.
I'm building an Anderton filter with a fuzz in one box. Both effects will have a foot switch and I would like a switch for patching the filter pre and post fuzz.

Thanks.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

I found the diagram a bit hard to fathom as it was shown, so I drew it out with all the wires added, then traced it out, using different colours for each switch combination - and IT WORKS !

You didn't label the switches, so I made the assumptions that: the lower left switch is footswitch 1 (for FX1), the lower right switch is footswitch 2 (for FX2) and the top one is the change-over toggle - and, as it all worked out, it seems my assumptions were correct.

Blue Tubes, you are a freaking GENIUS !

I've only been able to do a similar switch-over by using a 4-pole toggle switch.

Now I've got a whole spare pole to play with ! :twisted:
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

Lucifer wrote:I found the diagram a bit hard to fathom as it was shown, so I drew it out with all the wires added
Nice ! Please show me your draw I'm a noob ! ;)

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

My sketch was just that, a quick and ready sketch, on a scrap of paper - so I don't have anything I can show you (sorry).

But all I did was take the original diagram, add a box for FX1 (with IN and OUT) below the bottom left switch, and a box for FX2 (with IN and OUT) below the bottom right-hand switch. Then I drew connections to all the points with the same name (eg, 'Switch 1 Out' to 'Switch 1 Out', etc) until I had the complete picture.

Note that there are two connections marked 'Input'. These both go to the input jack (not shown, but you can draw it in). There is one connection to the output jack (again not shown, but . . .)

Then I traced out the flow, as described previously, for all the switch combinations.

Try putting in the connections for yourself, and you won't be a noob any more. You don't need to trace out the flow as I've proved it for you - but it would be good practice for you.

Good luck.

BlueTubes
Information

Post by BlueTubes »

I used this for a dual pedal I built a while ago (Timmy and Rothwell compressor) and it turned out great. Your assumptions were dead on Lucifer. The two switches on the bottom are footswitches (left side is One and right is Two) and the one above in the middle is a toggle. Just connect the pins that have the same name to each other and wire everything else to what they are labeled for.

Glad you guys like it. :)

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

Thank you very much.

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

The "LED" labels should be connected to the negative point of the led ? OK ?
Thanks in advance.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

That's correct. :thumbsup

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

Hello,

I tried to apply that wiring on a couple of veroboard and it doesn't works. Both boards have been verified and work when wired separatly.
So I think there is a problem with my outboard wiring but can't find it.
Do you see an error on my schematic please ?

Thanks.
Attachments
Projet fuzz avec filtre.jpg

BlueTubes
Information

Post by BlueTubes »

The Diagram seems to be a bit confusing for people so I have edited it to show the signal flow and how it should work. From this, it should be fairly simple to trace the signal through the switches and understand how it all works. In the diagrams I have set the switch position in BOLD and then numbered switch tabs consecutively in the order in which the signal flow hits them. Hope this helps.

This first image shows Effect 1 selected as the first effect but both effects are bypassed in their individual switches

This second image shows Effect 2 selected as the first effect and both effects are engaged in their individual switches

I did these in inkscape and exported them pretty large so they could be zoomed without getting pixelation (hope that's right) but I am not sure what Photobucket will do to them. So I hope the numbers are readable.

culbuto
Information

Post by culbuto »

This wiring scheme works fine.
Thanks you for the additional explanations :)