Wire measurment

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

This might be stupid question, and probably is...

How to measure 38/40/42AGW wire thickness? I can't do it with typical ruler, do I :blackeye

I'm going to dissemble few popular inductor clones to check what construction do they have - type/style of wiring, wire diameter, and obvious things before I do that (coil diameter, inductance and resistance).

I'm going to build a simple coil winder and start rolling my own crap

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

Vernier caliper! I just can't live without one...
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

lolbou wrote:Vernier caliper! I just can't live without one...
+1

Go for the digital ones, they measure in imperial and metric at the push of a button.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6Inch-150mm-D ... 2a1e982d23
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

nice, thanks guys :thumbsup

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

You could also buy a wire-gauge.... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

sinner
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by sinner »

link me example Simon

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

I think this is probably what you're after, you may be able to order one of these online from America, I should get myself one too.... :thumbsup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_gauge
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

DrNomis wrote:I think this is probably what you're after, you may be able to order one of these online from America, I should get myself one too.... :thumbsup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wire_gauge
They are good, but only for checking wire or plate gauges, I have one and never use it. It just acts as ballast to make my toolbox heavier..

A vernier calliper is good for measuring length, depth, diameter etc. Once you get one you wonder how you ever managed without.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by DrNomis »

I've been meaning to get myself a good vernier caliper,deltafred.... :thumbsup

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

For such thin wire thicknesses I would think that the caliper would be better than the wire gauge. Just my 2 cents.

lolbou
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by lolbou »

deltafred wrote:A vernier calliper is good for measuring length, depth, diameter etc. Once you get one you wonder how you ever managed without.
Yes again!! Think screws (metric or imperial?), holes diameters and drill bits, PCBs, enclosures, components, whatever... :horsey:
- Are you a mod or a rocker?
- Uh, no, I'm a mocker.

littleBloona
Information

Post by littleBloona »

In the last millenium old hams just wound n windings tightly on a round pencil and measured the width with a ruler. Then they divided the outcome by n. :idea: