Simple wiring question (No Battery Snap)

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
oceansofregret
Information

Post by oceansofregret »

Hello,

Building myself a creamy dreamer clone and I'm still pretty new to this.

I want to NOT use a battery snap at all since the pedal will always be plugged in on my board.
Can I use a mono jack instead of a stereo for the input? Every True Bypass wiring diagram I find seems to have a stereo input jack and a battery snap.
Can anyone point me to one that does not?
Can this even be done.

Sorry for being a noob.

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

The stereo jack is used as an on/off switch....plug the guitar cable into the input and it completes the ground connection
and powers on your circuit. You can use a mono jack if you do not want or need this feature. It's very handy when
using a battery though.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

oceansofregret
Information

Post by oceansofregret »

PokeyPete wrote: You can use a mono jack if you do not want or need this feature. It's very handy when
using a battery though.
Thanks for the reply my question tho is... what Changes with the wiring using a mono jack instead of a stereo jack? what gets soldered to what?

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

With the stereo jack, the power (V-) connects to the ring connector of the jack. Since the guitar cable is mono and has
no ring, when the plug is inserted it simply connects the ring and sleeve of the jack together. Now, in your case, all
you would do is connect the V- straight to the input sleeve (or some other 'ground' point).

The stereo jack is used the same as a mono jack with the addition of the on/off switch capability. It has nothing to do
with the pedal's ability to be true bypass. That's a function of wiring and the stompswitch used.

In all reality, which input jack you use doesn't matter! You will have a cable jack inserted into the input, whether it's
switched or not is meaningless.
Last edited by PokeyPete on 04 Sep 2012, 16:17, edited 1 time in total.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

oceansofregret
Information

Post by oceansofregret »

Ok, so if I have this correct the negative post of the DC jack will go to the sleeve of the input jack. If this is correct no reply is nessacarry and Thanks Again!

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

oceansofregret wrote:Ok, so if I have this correct the negative post of the DC jack will go to the sleeve of the input jack. If this is correct no reply is nessacarry and Thanks Again!
I just wanted to confirm that this is correct for anyone else who stumbles upon this in the future.

Nicofromfrance
Information

Post by Nicofromfrance »

I have a similar question than the OP:

I am rewiring a Zen drive clone from Musikding, very good sounding kit that I recommand for the price btw, I am rewiring it to get rid off any needless lenght of wire that could suck the tone and generally to get it cleaner as it is a total mess inside of the box. I'd like to remove the battery snap as well, so can somebody tell me which wire do I need to solder where if I remove it, according to this diagram: (I can't figure out how to do according to what has been said since the OP, sorry :hmmm: ) sorry for the big picture!

Thanks!

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Just unsolder the two wires from the battery snap (the black one that goes to the input jack, and the red one that goes to the 9v connector). The battery snap is then free to be lifted out, and can be use another time on another project (should you want).

The input jack can be left as 'stereo' and will just operate as a mono jack - so you don't need to replace it.

Everything else remains as it is.

Dead simple :twisted:
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

Nicofromfrance
Information

Post by Nicofromfrance »

Thanks Lucifer!
Indeed it is so simple that I thought it was too simple to be the way to do! :wink: works very well.