Two effect switching with a difference

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
V8Reverb
Information

Post by V8Reverb »

Hi all, first post and it's a question sorry.
I want to build a two in one box (TS09 and Big Muff Pi) with switching for 1 or both, and here's the difference:
I want to strip the volume part out of both circuits and add a third switch that will bypass the effect and just have the volume circuit - so I can use it as a two stage boost pedal if I want.

Am I going to run into trouble? Has anyone done this? and the big question: How? lol

Thanks for your time.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

Hi V8Reverb,

The words "just have the volume circuit" seems to imply that each of the mentioned pedals has a boost section at the end.

That's not normally the case. Usually the 'volume' bit is just a pot before the output, so isolating these from each circuit would just give you two pots, one after the other, but no boost.

It would be very easy, however, to use your third switch to bring in a separate boost circuit, such as the AMZ MOSFET boost.

Hope that helps.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

V8Reverb
Information

Post by V8Reverb »

I don't suppose it'd be too hard to do with the extra circuit, but the way I wanted it to switch I think I'd need two boost circuits. I'd need them to come in and switch with the effects with the click of one switch - how would I go about wiring the effects switches so they acted as a on/off for the effects, but for the boost a toggle between the two. I think thats what I need - you could then bypass the effects with the boosts off then click the "center" switch and one boost would come on.

Maybe I'm over thinking this. If I had the "center" switch to turn off the effects and turn on the boost then another click to turn on the second boost then another to turn the boost off and the effects back on - could I do that?

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

It all seems to be getting a bit complicated.

What I would do is have a boost circuit on the third switch, so you could bring it in or out, with or without one (or both) of the distortion circuits.

I would also put the boost between the distortions, so that you can have one distortion (probably the fuzz) with optional boost after it (eg, for solos), or the other distortion (Tubescreamer - set to a light overdrive) with the optional boost in front of it to drive it harder.

That way you have options for fuzz, fuzz with boost, boost on its own, screamer, driven screamer. That should cover most of your boost/overdrive/distortion/fuzz needs in a simple, three-pedal box. :P

And you could even have all three effects on at once if you're feeling particularly devilish :twisted:

V8Reverb
Information

Post by V8Reverb »

Sounds good to me - I'll give that a go and see how it goes.

Thanks for your help

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by Lucifer »

Please keep us posted.

If you want a look at something I did along those lines - only more so - look under the K.L.O.N.E.D heading for 'Super-Hoochie-Zen-o-Klon' (my current 'do-it-all' boost/drive/etc box).