momentarily activating a relay with a momentary switch

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
stompthis
Information

Post by stompthis »

The setup:
i am currently putting together parts to make up a midi controller pedal based on using a basyn midi kit circuit.
http://www.basyn.com/BASYN-MIDI-Kit.pdf

the way the circuit is set up basically you can activate 13 different midi notes that i am thinking can be increased by jumpering one of the midi channel jumpers using dpdt switching at the same time as activating each note in order to create the note in a different channel; thereby creating the possibility of a number of additional switches.
this is not a problem for the push button switches, it would be an easy matter to set up any number of dpdt momentary switches to give me as many switches as i want.... the problem arises thusly:
... i have ordered some rotary encoder switches of which i ideally wanted to run about 12.
they are spst switches which will only allow me to run about 6 switches, assuming that i set them to run on the unjumpered channel, as one note would be for each direction of the knob and there are only 13 notes available unjumpered.
this also means that the spst push button component of the rotary encoders will not have any note to activate available. :(

The question:
i assume the answer is to use dpdt relays with the rotary encoders (my best guess at a solution)

- my questions are largely (in order of importance):
1)will a momentary switch be likely to activate and then deactivate a 9v relay fast enough to pass on a momentary signal effectively?

2) is there an easier / or better way to do this?

3)has anyone else noticed how much snoop dog (sorry- snoop lion (lmao)) looks like Sebulba ( the pod-racing dude) from the first of the star wars prequels?