Relay Bypass with Tails for Delay

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
JFace
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by JFace »

I have an old fashioned 3PDT style bypass strip that I've used for years, and it has come to the point where the pops are actually causing damage. My delay pedal (Boss DD3) get fizzy and low volume when activated. I suspect that the pop from the switching causes enough current to really muk things up on the input of the delay. After switching the DD3 on and off a few times it goes away.

So I got to thinking, is it possible to have a bypass system built specifically for delays that will not echo the pop sounds when switched, and will allow tails of the delay when switched off (no abrupt cut of the effect). Looking into different off the shelf products, I found that the Pedal Sync line by Molten Voltage offers the relay microcontroller MV57. The MV57 mutes the output before switching so that no pops are heard during the switching transition. http://www.moltenvoltage.com/pedalsync/ ... asheet.pdf

Problem is, with a delay pedal the pops will continue the echo long after the output is engaged. So, referencing their datasheet, I drew up a schematic that instead mutes the input upon switching, and ties the return of the effect to the output at all times. I included an input buffer to prevent the effect from loading down the input. Some experimentation would be on order, such as the posibility of series resistors on the send and return, both to reduce switching noise and to isolate the input buffer from the output impedance of the delay.

I am curious to hear any feedback you may have on this implementation.
Attachments
Switch With Tails.jpg