Boss FS-5U Footswitch DIY

All frequent questions on switching: true or not true bypass, transistor-based or mechanical.
monkey_king
Information

Post by monkey_king »

Is there a schematic for Boss Footswitch (FS-5U)?
If I can, I would like to build one by myself...

und3r0athfan
Information

Post by und3r0athfan »

if its for a tap tempo. all you need is the right switch and a 1/4" jack. and some wire.

monkey_king
Information

Post by monkey_king »

yes it's for tap tempo...
thanx!

do you know what switch it is?

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

A SPST momentary will do it, one contact to the socket tip and one to the socket sleeve
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

ckyvick
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by ckyvick »

i built a dual footswitch for my rc-2, cost less than 20 bucks with the stereo cable...boss charges 50 bucks and requires a power supply? ill pass...

monkey_king
Information

Post by monkey_king »

It took me about 2min and less then 2$ to make it.
Painting job was longer then that! :mrgreen:

It turned out a bit weird ( like some detonator or smth),
but it works just fine...

Gila_Crisis
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Gila_Crisis »

Here a quick description how to build a Boss FS6 clone:

all you need are 2 DPDT momentary switches, which have on one side Normaly-Open and on the other Normaly-Closed.
A Footswitch switching between Ring-Ground and the other Tip-Ground. (Normaly-Open means that when you step on the footswitch you close the connection between the 2 contacts, vice-versa for Normaly-Close)

The "Polarity Toggle Switch" just switch between closed or open, which means it turn the side where the Ground is applied.

I had allready a footswitch like this, but wired ala "Normaly-Open", without the polarity switch. And just by swapping the ground connection that made the trick with my RC3, since the additional "Stop/Memory shift" switch works with the "Nomarly-Close" way.
That made me think at Boss they are idiots, because I had to break my head and search the web to find this out (at one point I started thinking my RC3 was broken....-.-), but on the other hand they are clever as well because if you don't know this you are forced to buy THEIR switch to work with THEIR products!
Attachments
FootSwitchWiring1.png
FootSwitchWiring1.png (6.77 KiB) Viewed 6789 times
Zwischen Ordnung und Chaos fangt die Musik an

MVSalve
Information

Post by MVSalve »

Hello,
This is my first post. I'm from Brasil and i apologize for my english.
I wrote this post because i dont understand the last schematic... why this toggles so necessary? Perhaps lack of this switchs, my pedal does not work ... :lol:

I made a pedal as a similar project, only used leds, but I respected the polarity and etc ... My goal was to use it in my BOSS ME 50, just for change the banks of effects.

When I used switches of home ringer, the pedal works, but when using spst momentary switches, the LEDs light up, but the effects of banks BOSS ME 50 does not change with the waiting.

Does anyone know what might have happened?

The photo of pedal in the link

Thanks

Jallawalla
Information

Post by Jallawalla »

Here's my crappy out of focus video