Muti effect switching question

Putting two effects in one box almost looks too easy, but you will save a lot of time reading the frequent questions before starting such a project...
J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Hi, I was wondering if anybody would have any idea on how to get one effect to switch off or bypass when another is switched on? Let me explain... I have built a stomp with 1 overdrive and 2 separate distortion pedals in it. It goes like this: (OD - Dist1 - Dist2) what I am wanting to do is when you switch from one distortion to the other I want it to turn the other one off and visa versa.. Rather than turning one off and then truning the other one on, just toggle between the two. Any diagrams for this? Am I making sense?

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Anyway, here is what I have so far and it works good except I want the distortions to flip flop, right now both are independent.
Attachments
Double Death Roll 1 small.jpg

PokeyPete
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by PokeyPete »

Wiring a stompswitch to switch between two devices is simple. Let's use a typical blue 3p2t switch. There are nine pins on the
switch. As when you look at the pins on the switch make sure they run from side to side, not up and down. The row of pins in
the center are the poles. When you stomp the switch once they connect to the upper pins. The next stomp they connect to the
lower pins. Simple! Connect the output of the OD to the first pole. Now connect the input to D1 on the pin above it, then
connect the input to D2 to the pin below it. (Let's save the middle pole and pins for the LEDs). Now let's go to the other side of
the switch to wire the output section. The pole will be wired to the output jack. The pin above it will connect to the output of
D1 and the pin below the pole will connect to the output of D2. Understand so far? One of the Distortion units will be on all the
time. Now for the LEDs. We saved the middle column for the LEDs. The pole will connect to ground. The upper pin will connect
to the cathode of an LED, say....amber for "A". The lower pin will connect to the cathode of a "B"lue LED. You can connect the
anodes of the two LEDs together and connect them to a 4.7k resistor, with the other end of the resistor going to V+. And your
done!!! If you're wanting to add a bypass you'll have to install a separate stompswitch for that.
“No man is so foolish but he may sometimes give another
good counsel, and no man so wise that he may not easily err
if he takes no other counsel than his own. He that is taught
only by himself has a fool for a master.”
–Hunter S. Thompson

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

PokeyPete ~ Thanks for your help... Unfortunatly my ADD (Attention Deficit Disorder) will not allow me to follow your instructions... Care to throw together a diagram? If not, that's cool... I will just keep on tap dancin to switch distortions. I really appreciate you taking the time to write all of that out for me!! Right now it works the way I have it wired, I just want to be able to switch from one distortion to another without hitting 2 stomp switches...

roseblood11
Tube Twister
Information

Post by roseblood11 »

if you want to switch between 3 or more distortions, you need relays...

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

roseblood11 wrote:if you want to switch between 3 or more distortions, you need relays...
That's what I though... Do you know of any diagrams, schematics for something like this? What I am wanting is the OD to be independent (OD on/OD off Complete pedal bypass) and the two distortions to swap on/off with one foot tap... I really should have not built this.. I could have built one OD and one Distortion and been fine... I was thinking one distortion for leads and one for rhythm.. crazy huh... :? Now that I am thinking about it more maybe I sould have done 1 overdive and 1 distortion with dual gain and volume controls like the dual Dr.Boogie..?

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

I think that's what PokeyPete is talking about ( :oops: Sorry about the draw... not my thing) One master switch and a second to alternate between two fx.
Guys, if there's some error or some way to improve it, fell free to point it. I'll appreciate.
Attachments
ALTERNATE SWITCHING + TBP.jpg

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Thanks Duckman for drawling that for me!! Does this look like it will work?
Attachments
Tdrwd2.JPG

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Looks functional to me. So, you have an independent on/off for the OD, the center switch works as a master for the two DS and the third switch alternates between DS1 and DS2, right?

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

Duckman wrote:Looks functional to me. So, you have an independent on/off for the OD, the center switch works as a master for the two DS and the third switch alternates between DS1 and DS2, right?
Yeah, that's what I was hoping? I will try it tonight and let you know either way... Thanks for your help man!!! Really!

~ Jim

J0K3RX
Degoop Doctor
Information

Post by J0K3RX »

J0K3RX wrote:
Duckman wrote:Looks functional to me. So, you have an independent on/off for the OD, the center switch works as a master for the two DS and the third switch alternates between DS1 and DS2, right?
Yeah, that's what I was hoping? I will try it tonight and let you know either way... Thanks for your help man!!! Really!

~ Jim
Ok, it works great! This is great now that I have this figured out!! Thanks to Duckman and PokeyPete, I owe you both... Hopefully others will find this helpful as well..? :applause:

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

J0K3RX wrote: Hopefully others will find this helpful as well
That's the point, my friend :thumbsup