<muti effects> Switching the order of the effects

Putting two effects in one box almost looks too easy, but you will save a lot of time reading the frequent questions before starting such a project...
dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

I wanna put an OD and a Boost into one enclosure and then be able to use a a toggle switch to choose the order. In other words I want the option of having the OD go into the boost or vice versa.

Thanks in advance.

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

i was trying to figure this out with a 3pdt, but couldn't do it. You can do it with a 4pdt switch though like this.
let's say it looks like this

1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12

...and let's say the switch is moving up and down. You can wire it up like this...
connect 1 to 7
connect 9 to 2
connect 10 to 4
connect 11 to 8

then solder the IN jack to 9
solder the OD INPUT to 5
solder the BOOST INPUT to 6
solder the OD OUTPUT to 10
solder the BOOST OUTPUT to 7
solder the OUTPUT jack to 8

this will allow you to switch between the 2 modes without LED. You can buy a 4pdt for about $12 .

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

This may help, though I'm not sure. It is a switching pattern i came up with for switching a booster from the middle of the effects chain to being in the effects loop of an amp and vise versa. uses only a 3pdt

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Thanks guys. I know that Small Bear sells a 4PDT footswtich, I'll have to look around for a toggle. I think I've seen 3PdT toggles, so I'll have to explore both of these options.

Fuller did it w/ the GT-500, right?

Thanks again

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

Looks like Small Bear has a 4PDT toggle switch as well. Man, my current list of things to order is getting to be ridiculous!!! I wish one place had the best prices. But I'm finding that Allied has better prices on enclosures, Mouser on other stuff, and Small Bear on other stuff. Not to mention Futurlec's value packs. Aaargh!

super velcroboy
Information

Barcode wrote:This may help, though I'm not sure. It is a switching pattern i came up with for switching a booster from the middle of the effects chain to being in the effects loop of an amp and vise versa. uses only a 3pdt

This won't work for what the op is asking for. This configuration only allows for 5 connections to be made.
He wants to switch the order of 2 pedals before hitting the front of the amp, and this requires 6 total connections.

Its actually pretty hard to achieve this with a single passive switch. You need multiple double throws to achieve this. The only switcher i know that does this is the switchblade, which is over a grand $$.

If anyone knows of a better way, tell me :scratch:

marshmellow
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by marshmellow »

Use a 2PDT and some relays... But probably you already thought of this :wink:

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

super velcroboy wrote:
Barcode wrote:This may help, though I'm not sure. It is a switching pattern i came up with for switching a booster from the middle of the effects chain to being in the effects loop of an amp and vise versa. uses only a 3pdt

This won't work for what the op is asking for. This configuration only allows for 5 connections to be made.
He wants to switch the order of 2 pedals before hitting the front of the amp, and this requires 6 total connections.

Its actually pretty hard to achieve this with a single passive switch. You need multiple double throws to achieve this. The only switcher i know that does this is the switchblade, which is over a grand $$.

um, the switchblade is like 50 bucks used, and the nano one is like 40 new.

super velcroboy
Information

Barcode wrote:
super velcroboy wrote:

i wish...
http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/switchblade.htm

Barcode
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by Barcode »

super velcroboy wrote:
Barcode wrote:
super velcroboy wrote:

i wish...
http://www.soundsculpture.com/products/switchblade.htm
Ah, i see. I thought you were referring to the Electro Harmonix switchblade, which is really just an A/B selector.

Ripdivot
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Ripdivot »

Here is a clear diagram of how to accomplish the switching.

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Pe ... itcher.htm

super velcroboy
Information

yeah that beavis configuration is better than mine. I would use that one.

dap9
Solder Soldier
Information

Post by dap9 »

I was actually looking at the Beavis pic the other day. I just have to figure out how to treat each 3PDT switch as the Jacks in that pic. since I want to be able to turn either effect on or both at the same time. make sense?

Natman
Information

Post by Natman »

Hi all I am reviving this thread because I need to try the same thing (an order switcher a la GT-500). I looked at the Beavis diagram and assumed I needed the 4PDT switch but the 4th pole is really just for activating the LEDs. Now I'm quite a novice but it looks as though this arrangement is not so great. Like dap9 said, I want to have the ability to switch either circuit on, or both (with a toggle for the order). Essentially I want the GT-500 setup with 2 stomp switches and 1 toggle. What is the best way to accomplish this?? Thanks! :horsey:

floris
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by floris »

The arrangement by Beavis is fine. It is basically a "Jugler" from Geofex:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/j ... uggler.htm
Use that for order switching with a 3PDT, optionally with a "millenium-bypass" kind of circuit for LEDs, or a 4PDT with LED on the switch like this (Dutch):
http://www.newtone-online.nl/catalog/pr ... cts_id=491
5.20 euro ~ $7

Turning FXs on/off can be done by regular True-Bypass switching with a 2PDT (optionally with "millenium-bypass" for LED) or a basic 3PDT wiring with LED on the bypass switch.

Natman
Information

Post by Natman »

Ok I think I got it: I just use a 3pdt toggle (or my 4pdt leaving out the LEDs). and each circuit will have its own 3pdt stomp with LED hookup and I'll have the GT-500 setup. Thanks for the help