IMPORTANT -- how to save your account from deletion

Have a look here for general information about the forum, rules and announcements.
modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

• Make a friendly introduction post - accounts with at least 1 post will NEVER be deleted
  • I you don't post, visit at least once a year. Postless accounts unused from 1y+ will be deleted.
  • If you create a new account, activate it within 2 days. New account not activated within 2 days will be deleted, because the majority of these a spam accounts.
  • Choose a username that can only be created by a human. Avoid numbers.
Freestompboxes.org in approach of its 5th birthday has:

+175,000 posts
+38,000 signups
+23,000 active accounts
+12,000 subject topics
+5,000 contributing (posting) users
+3,000 visiting members this week
+150 users logged in during the last 15min
+25 new members per dag (excluding spambots)

I should say this sounds impressive, but the sql engines seem to be doing fine. Still some cleaning out of unused accounts should be done, because of the massive amount of spamaccounts. Most of them don't succeed in getting their accounts activated, but clog up the database for no reason. It more the extended forum structure -with different sections- that turned out a bit unstable a few months back.

We should keep on emphasizing the importance of keeping the attachment file size. No black/white schematic needs to be 600k. But it's mostly those 1MB direct from the camera gutshots that are dragging us down.

Thanks everyone for taking this in account.
Johan
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

phatt
Transistor Tuner
Information

Post by phatt »

Re big pictures;
I'm a member of an Aussie Forum and they have canned direct posting of pics.
Not that I'm in favor as I don't use Pbucket or like.

Maybe some of those *in the know folks* could explain how simple it is to re-size camera shots.

FWIW, I use Irfanview to edit pics. Heck I'm a computter dumb-ass and I worked out Ifanview. :thumbsup :blackeye
Phil.

Greenmachine
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Fender Blackface Deluxe Reverb
Completed builds: Electra Distortion
Roger Mayer Octavia
Klon Centaur (Bajaman/Soulsonic)
DOD 440 Envelope Filter
MXR Phase 90
DOD FET Preamp
Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face
Soulsonic Hunny Bunny Overdrive
BYOC Analog Delay
Craig Anderton Headphone Amp
Anderton Mini Amp
Bajaman Real Tube Overdrive
Fender Deluxe 5E3 with Tone Stack Mod.
Fender Princeton 5F2-a
Keen Neovibe
Aquapuss Delay
Anderton AMS-100 Guitar Synth (abandoned)
DOD 280 Compressor
Weird Sound Generator
Beavis Audio Noisy Cricket
80's Rat
ROG Thor
Big Muff
Green Ringer
Shin-Ei Fuzz
MXR Dynacomp
COT50
Really Cheap Compressor

Post by Greenmachine »

I resize pictures using a PC running Picasa (free photo editor I think). Click on "Export" under the picture viewer and resize to anything under 700 pixels or so. I'll go even smaller than that from now on now that I see it has an effect on the site. Thanks Johan.
:thumbsup
"[Y]ou want sketchy, dude? I breadboard on a door." -- RnFR, 2011
"This amp is freakin loud, like crazy, I'm going to kill pets loud." -- mich, 2011

IvIark
Tube Twister
Information

Post by IvIark »

In IrfanView, go to:

Image > Resize/Resample

Choose a new width like 800 pixels, and if you have the "Preserve Aspect Ratio" option ticked, the height will be automatically filled in for you whilst keeping the image at the correct ratio.

Experiment with the "Apply sharpen after resample" option, personally I think the results look better without this autosharpening which tends to make the final image more grainy, but you may have better results than me.

Make sure that for "Size Method" you have "Resample (better quality)" selected and then just click ok to perform the resize. Save as a new image so you can keep the bigger original as a master copy.
"If anyone is a 'genius' for putting jacks in such a pedal in the only spot where they could physically fit, then I assume I too am a genius for correctly inserting my legs into my pants this morning." - candletears7 - TGP

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

phatt wrote:. Heck I'm a computter dumb-ass and I worked out Ifanview.
Persoally I cannot imagine computer life without Iview. When setting up a new system it's one of the first applications to be installed. :wink:
Last edited by modman on 12 May 2012, 05:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

Sorry, I totally clog up the tubes with large gut shots... :oops: I'll try to post them elsewhere.

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

CHEEZOR wrote:Sorry, I totally clog up the tubes with large gut shots... :oops: I'll try to post them elsewhere.
Please don't stop, just adapt to a lower resolution.
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal

rocklander
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: my jansen bassman 50
Completed builds: rebote 2.5; supreaux; odie; heartthrob tremolo; ross phaser; dr. boogey; thor; baja black toast; slow gear attack, rebote, tri-vibe, small clone, little angel, magnus modulus, echo base, hex fuzz, big muff, 22/7.

Post by rocklander »

Dirk_Hendrik wrote:
phatt wrote:. Heck I'm a computter dumb-ass and I worked out Ifanview.
Persoally I cannot imagine computer life without Iview. When setting up a new system it's one of the first applications to be installed. :wink:
this, but for me it's photofiltre
world's greatest tautologist ...in the world
Ronsonic wrote:...the lower the stakes the more vicious the combat.

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

No, I just meant that I would post links for higher resolution gut shots. I definitely wont stop. :)

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

As far as schematics go, the below should be a rule of thumb:
analogguru wrote:Please DON´T save the schematic as .jpg.
USE INSTEAD black/white .GIF or .PNG !

The schematic drawing will stay sharper and the file will be smaller.
analogguru wrote:Anyhow here is the .pdf converted to .gif - first with ghostscript to .bmp and then with XnView (Freeware) to .gif - to show you what I mean.
resolution .jpg: 1123 x 793 (~ 100 dpi)
file size .jpg: 143.092
resolution .gif: 3508 x 2479 (300 dpi)
file size .gif: 95.015
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6946&p=74943#p74943
analogguru wrote:1.) look for the freeware Xnview, it does all you need and is free and fast.
2.) Never use .jpg to save a schematic, the file will be huge and the lines will become unsharp.
3.) use instead .gif or .png - the size of the dfile is much smaller and there doesn´t occur interpolation like in jpeg (what makes the drawing unsharp).
4.) never use true-color - reduce the file to 16 greyscales/colors or better black/white only. A schematic 210mm x 297mm with 300dpi resolution should be approx. 70kb as a .gif-file.
5.) If you want to reduce the dpi it is easily done with Xnview:
In the menu go to "picture"...."change size" and you have got it.
analogguru
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1674&p=20574&#p20574

salocin
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by salocin »

modman wrote:We should keep on emphasizing the importance of keeping the attachment file size. No black/white schematic needs to be 600k. But it's mostly those 1MB direct from the camera gutshots that are dragging us down.
Johan, have you considered running a script over the attachments to resize/resample at lower quality? A PHP script using GD library would do the trick.