The Big Muff Tone Control - where to wire it

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Hi all

would like to know just where is best to wire the I/O of the Big Muff Tone Control - E.g - to the existing circuit boards I/O
or to a foot switch, or the Jack Sockets etc. Also what if your Output is coming out from a Vol Pot lug? :hmmm:

Big Muff Tone control as using :

http://www.beavisaudio.com/techpages/Bi ... neControl/

Thanks for your help :wink:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

in a big muff it's wired after the clipping stages, but before the last transistor: since the tonestack is lossy, the last transistor can boost the output of the tonestack a little before it goes to the volume control. i also have an idea (but i my be wrong) that the last transistor stage also helps isolate the tonestack to prevent it affecting pedals that come after it.

if your circuit has plenty of volume available, you could try it out tacked onto the board output, but before the volume control (i.e. wire lug 2 of the BMP tone pot to the volume pot lug 3): if it cuts the volume too much or messes with other pedals, you could add a buffer between tonestack and volume control, or even just add the last transistor stage from a BMP.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Nocentelli wow! :D

thanks! am learning so much - am planning on adding the Tone Control to a Univox Superfuzz clone - my build is already sound great but would like to control the highs somewhat, and keep my EQ pedal free for other placements in my chain - Where do you think would be best on this particular circuit.

wondering ... would it be possible to run one also off the DPDT

Board Version :
https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information
my favorite amplifier: 1973 Sunn Model T

Post by bigmufffuzzwizz »

Zombie_Crush wrote:Nocentelli wow! :D

thanks! am learning so much - am planning on adding the Tone Control to a Univox Superfuzz clone - my build is already sound great but would like to control the highs somewhat, and keep my EQ pedal free for other placements in my chain - Where do you think would be best on this particular circuit.

wondering ... would it be possible to run one also off the DPDT
It would replace the existing tone stack right after the germ clippers. It's slightly different but I'm sure you could switch them. I've been wanting to change the toggle switch on my Superfuzz to a pot cause I feel like the two choices are sorta extreme and something in between would be much better. I feel like it might be that way if you use a toggle switch for a Big Muff tone stack but you could experiment and set the two options (on the toggle switch) to sounds you like. :D
Magic Pedals Home of The Shrine Fuzz!

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

if you just want to control the treble, you can use something even simpler than the BMP stack (which rolls off treble in one direction and bass the other, but cuts the mids in the centre position): A 100kB pot, wired with lug 3 from the board output, lug 2 to volume 3, lug 2+1 also tied and connected through a 3n-ish cap to ground forms a simple but effective treble roll off. Fully clockwise (5 o'clock) gives you the original bright signal, and turning it down dumps progressively more highs to ground. if it's not cutting enough high, you can increase the cap to 4n7 or higher, or reduce the cap value for more subtle effect.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Cheers Nocentelli

I have a few 100kB so will give that a try - excellent!

bigmufffuzzwizz my thanks also! yes agree, the Superfuzz switch modes, go from warm and bassy to super harsh - want to keep the switch, but an additional pot for sculpting the tones edgy brightness would indeed be a huge benefit.

Zombie_Crush
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by Zombie_Crush »

Nocentelli

Have run into a problem

I wired Lug 3 of the new installed 100kB Tone Pot to the board Output / Lug 2 Tone Pot to Vol Lug 2 / wired a 4N7 between Lug 1+2 on the Tone pot, and wired Lug 1 to ground.

Thing is ... where do I now connect a send wire from to the 3PDT, to the pedals socket out? :hmmm:

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information

Your close! Tone lugs 1+2 are tied together and then one lead of the cap is connected to lug 1 (it could be either lug 1 or 2 cause they are tied) and the other lead of the cap goes to ground. Simple filter to get rid of your unwanted frequencies.
Then Tone pot lug 2 should go to Volume lug 3 (not lug 2). Volume lug 2 is your output to the 3PDT and Vol lug 1 can be connected to ground.

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

That's the one.

Incidentally, i first saw this treble roll-off in Skreddy's Lunar Fuzz, where he uses a 3n3 to ground from the tone pot AND a 2n2 between lug 2+1 of the volume pot. This makes for a super-smooth but very high gain fuzz sound, where beautiful harmonic (string) feedback is very easily achieved, but that squealing microphonic (pick-up) feedback is greatly reduced.

bigmufffuzzwizz
Breadboard Brother
Information

That's very interesting, I wonder if he came up with that. So it's a low pass filter using the volume pot/2n2 to achieve it at the end of the circuit?
I admire Skreddy's work very much

JudgeMingus
Information
Completed builds: JH-1 renovation with mods for crisper tone
Tuner/Mute box with loop reverser (for Gilmour 'seagulls' wah effect)
Si Fuzz Face clone
Rat clone
Tonepad Rebote 2.5 echo
Phase 90 clone
MXR noise gate clone
Runoffgroove Professor Tweed
Distortion+ clone
OD250 clone
Fuzz Central Liquid Drive
MXR DynaComp clone
Orange Squeezer clone
Demeter Compulator clone
Skreddy Lunar Module clone
Dual-output buffers (derived from AMZ Super Buffer)
Several more under way!

Post by JudgeMingus »

That sounds like a guitar tone control circuit with treble bleed cap for the volume...

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

JudgeMingus wrote:That sounds like a guitar tone control circuit with treble bleed cap for the volume...
I thought a guitar treble bleed was between the hot and output to allow more highs through at low volume? The skreddy cap is between output and ground to roll off treble, not preserve it.

astrobass
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by astrobass »

I just happened across this treble roll off trick and tried it out on a silicon FF based circuit that I've been modding and tweaking on a breadboard, and holy balls. Super, super cool stuff. I could see this being added to a LOT of designs.