laymans version of "technology of tubescreamer"?

Frequent asked about building blocks: gain stages, buffers, clipping configurations, ...
zoah
Information

Post by zoah »

It is nice to see that there is a "Circuit Blocks" section on here which means I bet one of you awesome wizards could help me take it one step further.

I am hoping to find a laymans breakdown of some classic overdrive circuits along the lines of the "technology of the tubescreamer" but light on the EE algorithm/jargon speak. I understand the basics of what resistors, diodes etc do and I can follow a schematic. I have done a few mods and built a few kits but I am wanting to understand how when paired in small groups or "circuit blocks", these basic components combine to affect the signal in certain ways as the signal passes through this particular section.

So "circuit blocks" but applied to well known schematics so that I can get my head around this stuff a bit more.

Thank you for your help!

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

zoah wrote:It is nice to see that there is a "Circuit Blocks" section on here which means I bet one of you awesome wizards could help me take it one step further.

I am hoping to find a laymans breakdown of some classic overdrive circuits along the lines of the "technology of the tubescreamer" but light on the EE algorithm/jargon speak. I understand the basics of what resistors, diodes etc do and I can follow a schematic. I have done a few mods and built a few kits but I am wanting to understand how when paired in small groups or "circuit blocks", these basic components combine to affect the signal in certain ways as the signal passes through this particular section.

So "circuit blocks" but applied to well known schematics so that I can get my head around this stuff a bit more.

Thank you for your help!
That was more or less my excact entry point to pedal building as well.
You might want to check out indyguitarists youtube videos. I posted them here for convenience: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... 15#p140829
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

zoah
Information

Post by zoah »

Those videos are actually pretty helpful! Thanks! I know that wampler wrote a few books. I have a 50 or so page PDF of how to modify but can't find the rest. I guess the guy is real hardcore about keeping the PDFs off the net? It would be nice to find some of his more "advanced" books even hardcopy used but I can't fInd one at all. I search once a week and they just don't turn up. I checked his sight and it says they no longer offer the book or support for the books.

It's such a shame that if he doesn't care abou those books anymore that he doesn't let those PDFs hang around. I have read mixed reviews of his books and their content but it seems like the info on component use as function would be useful and informative to those just wanting a general idea. All that math, algorithms, calculation and what not that EEs like RG Keen use in describing (I realize that's the "correct" way) is really off putting to a drywall finisher like myself.

I did find this

http://www.bteaudio.com/articles/TSS/TSS.html

I am getting flashes and glimpses.

Thanks for your help!

zoah
Information

Post by zoah »

I bought the jack orman AMZ cd rom today. As I find stuff I will post it here.