PCB, which one?

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

Sorry, somehow the forum won't let me post it in the right section.
Anyways, I was designing my own pcb layout for the MXR Dist+ when I had this doubt (so I made 2 of them)...
Which one is better/correct or whatever? :hmmm:

#1 like the original vintage pcb

#2 like the ones you find on the web

Those are completely the same layout-wise

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

what is your question? they are the same thing :scratch:

CHEEZOR
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by CHEEZOR »

The images arent showing up for me. Are they for others?

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information
Completed builds: Silicon FF with tone control, Proco RAT, MXR Dist+, BMP, Phat Pig (custom 6 controls fuzz pedal)

Post by TV-Set »

Seiche wrote:what is your question? they are the same thing :scratch:
the same circuit, yes. nut what's with all those thick lines? what r they 4?

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

TV-Set wrote:
Seiche wrote:what is your question? they are the same thing :scratch:
the same circuit, yes. nut what's with all those thick lines? what r they 4?
Just to waste less copper. Use whichever you want.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Duckman wrote:Just to waste less copper. Use whichever you want.
:scratch: how? The copper's already on the board? Maybe to waste less acid when etching?

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Seiche wrote:
:scratch: how? The copper's already on the board? Maybe to waste less acid when etching?
Well, under my point of view, if it's in the board you're using it; if it goes with the acid, you're wasting it.
Any way, as Seiche rightly pointed out, you'll end using less acid... just a little less, unless you're going for 50 boards :lol:
Just choose one and do it, dammit! :horsey:

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

Duckman wrote:
Seiche wrote:
Well, under my point of view, if it's in the board you're using it; if it goes with the acid, you're wasting it.
Any way, as Seiche rightly pointed out, you'll end using less acid... just a little less, unless you're going for 50 boards :lol:
Just choose one and do it, dammit! :horsey:
lol, yeah, I'm not making 100s of em, just used my 1L bottle on one board so far... so it'll take some time to consume it :)

Oh, just one more question while I'm at it. Yesterday I made my 1st pcb (not this one, I made RAT from tonepad, modified a little to use a led indicator and such) and I found that the toner kinda melted and spread over the board too much, no overlapping threads though (the writing got all wacky), just got wider pads and all... so, here's my q. - if I left it in the acid for more time would the copper get etched more on the sides of the toner threads, to make em not as wide? or should I just use less toner so it doesn't melt that much? (woops, that's 2 Qs) :slap:

PS: the RAT works all right btw, so apparently I did a good job there... but one always tries to make things better... and one does not simply walk into Mordor... :horsey:

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

Overmelted toner traces occurs during ironing, mostly when you apply the iron too much time, or the iron is too hot, or both. If you like to reshape some trace/pad to something near to his original width/size, just use an exacto knive or some sharped piece of metal and a magnifying lens to carefuly scratch the excess toner. More time in acid will not do the job. In fact, you just need that traces don't touch each other, so if look a little ugly but it works, take it.
More practice will improve your skills. :thumbsup

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

Duckman wrote:More practice will improve your skills. :thumbsup
Indeed, just finished my second pcb (Dist+), spent half the time ironing (less than 5 min) and the lines are much better. Practice makes perfect :applause:

TV-Set
Breadboard Brother
Information

Post by TV-Set »

PS: as for which design to pick, I'll definetly use #1 for my next project, looks tidier, pads and traces are far apart, less mess when soldering...

Information

Post by 464661048 »

We can produce pcb for you! :block: