DC Sockets

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

I have built my first pedal works great off a battery snap..Yet I cant get it to work off dc power socket. I am using my sound lab power supply, I us for all my pedals. I have wired the center pin as ground and the second one down as live. These two gave me a reading when I tested with my multi meter of 9v..

Any help please.

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Wow thanks all.. A really helpful bunch of people once yer start posting I bet yer can't stop

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

Our absolute pleasure.
Do you mind people may not start jumping in staight away? Help and advice are given. Not provided on demand.
Sorry. Plain out of planes.

http://www.dirk-hendrik.com

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Don't recall typing any demanding statements...In fact I can't read one anywhere....

Also the forum which I moderate on, I would never leave a new comer with an unanswered post. Even if I did not know the answer to a given question or was just simply saying hello, its simple manors. It also shows that the forum is not a small little community, were if your face don't fit your not welcome.

My pleasure also....

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

MuzzledAxe wrote:Wow thanks all.. A really helpful bunch of people once yer start posting I bet yer can't stop

How would you interpret a post like the above? In my book it's a remark that suggests annoyance for not getting the help you require ASAP.

And,
Showing up, more than welcome, is something different than starting to tell others how a forum should be. Manners indeed. How about you show them?

And while typing tell something more than "worked with a battery but not wilt an adapter". Measured the differences between battery and adapter on the board already. Seems to me there must be a difference.

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Thanks

I have been doing fault finding, not getting very far though.. I must be doing something completely wrong as I have know put together a second boost, (first was SHO second LPB1) both the same work battery not mains power.

Do you mean by "Measured the differences between battery and adapter on the board" the volt reading at power in and ground????? I have done this I get between 8.9v and 9.1v, on both boards DC, nothing AC.

I an using a sound lab power supply which works well with my Carl Martin Red Repeat and Boss CH1.

Dirk thanks for the help....

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

MuzzledAxe wrote:Do you mean by "Measured the differences between battery and adapter on the board" the volt reading at power in and ground????? I have done this I get between 8.9v and 9.1v, on both boards DC, nothing AC.
You need to chase out the fault: Do you get +9v on the pin of the socket with the adaptor connected? If not, you've wired the socket wrong. If you do, follow the wire from the pin to the board: Do you get 9 volts at that point?
MuzzledAxe wrote:I have wired the center pin as ground and the second one down as live.

This is a bit vague: With most 2.1mm power sockets suitable for pedals, the centre pin is ground/negative, the lug furthest from the ground lug is wired to the board +9v pad, and the lug between them is a switching contact that is connected to the battery +9v: In this way, plugging a jack into the socket disconnects the battery; The battery +9v is reconnected to the board if the jack is removed.

Please post a picture of the socket you are using. I'm going to assume it is a plastic type, because centre-negative wiring will not work with almost all metal sockets. Also if you want to wire a battery and adaptor socket, you'll need to use a stereo input socket and wire the battery negative to the input jack ring lug to disconnect power when you remove the guitar cable.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Thanks...

Its the metal one and I am sending the + to ground.....God am I thick or what...Off to Maplins to get a A PLASTIC one.

Cheers Nocentelli

I am in Leeds to Headingley Great this time of year when the students go home...

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Ha we have working boost..........Flipping metal DC sockets.......

Anyone any ideas whats good to move up a level from SHO and LPB 1???

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

Excellent news, when I looked Maplin only seemed to stock those horrible rectangular cut-out one: if you shop online (bitsbox, doctor-tweek etc) you can get round ones for 80p or so and v.cheap postage. I'm sure you know this, but almost anywhere is better than Maplin unless you absolutely have to have a part same day - There's every chance they won't have it, or can't find it anyway.

For next level builds, you're probably looking at 2/3 transistor or single chip fuzzes/overdrives/distortions: That includes fuzzface/tonebenders, MXR D+, maybe a Rat, or even a Big Muff at a push. Catalinbread do a number of decent dirt pedals, many of which are quite simple: The hyperpak is a Red Llama-type single chip OD, the Merkin is a Ritefuzz type silicon fuzz, the Formula #5 is a four-transistor (JFET) tweed emulator OD.

Modulation, time-based, compression and filtering effects tend to be more complex, though Rick Holt (user frequency central here and elsewhere) devised a one chip chorus, and there are numerous other examples of simple, useful effect circuits. The magnavibe, for example, is a dead simple vibrato using just two transistors and a vactrol.

Personally, I'd recommend a silicon fuzzface or tonebender mk2: if that's a bit retro for your tastes, there are plenty of tone mangling fuzzez by devi ever, dwarfcraft, death by audio etc that are very simple.

I'd suggest:

1. Get a breadboard if you haven't already
2. Read loads of threads here and mentally note circuits that plenty of people have built successfully
3. Buy components in tens for all cheapish caps/resistors/transistors/LEDs etc. Once you've ordered for 3/4 projects, you'll have built up a decent stash of components in commonly used values.

Have fun! And welcome to the forum.
modman wrote: Let's hope it's not a hit, because soldering up the same pedal everyday, is a sad life. It's that same ole devilish double bind again...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

MuzzledAxe wrote:Also the forum which I moderate on, I would never leave a new comer with an unanswered post. Even if I did not know the answer to a given question or was just simply saying hello, its simple manors. It also shows that the forum is not a small little community, were if your face don't fit your not welcome.
sorry didn't see your post up until now.

for introductory stuff and new members refer to this thread. I bet your forum has one too. If it doesn't, it should.
MuzzledAxe wrote:Wow thanks all.. A really helpful bunch of people once yer start posting I bet yer can't stop
this is actually completely true in the non-sarcastic way. To prove this I will help you right now with the following:
you're vs your
manners vs. manors
and finally some awesome wiring diagrams including the DC jack.

My advise for a next project (besides the very good options Nocentelli already listed) would be a Lovepedal Eternity, a TS derivative. One Opamp, a handful of components, no trimming, good sound, very versatile, cheap to make.

cheers and have a good day :thumbsup

Dirk_Hendrik
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Dirk_Hendrik »

I understand your response Seiche. Hpwever MuzzledAxe let it rest after my last, not completely uncolored, reply and went back ontopic, keeping the honours to himself. One should respect that.

Ontopic,
It seems the problem got solved. Good!
Continuation? Go for the RAT.

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Excellent news, when I looked Maplin only seemed to stock those horrible rectangular cut-out one:
Yes Found out when I got there..went to Model Zone in the Merion center and dropped on 2 plastic ones...
this is actually completely true in the non-sarcastic way.
Yes I was been sarcastic..

I have been kicking about on various forums for years. I found 2 types either really helpful nice chatty people or what I refer to as the "tribal ones". (I can think of a well known amp manufacturer that has a very tribal forum). Its the sort of place where certain people make the forum exclusive for themselves and anyone else is disregarded.

With all the views this thread was receiving and no replies, and partly because, to many i thought that this thread would be a dumb ass question I was getting the impression of a tribal going on..So I am guilty of a sarcastic comment. If I offended I apologize, as it would seem some people did help.

Dirk, you had your say I had mine, to me that is that.....I have to many problems in the real world to make problems else where.

At 39 years old, 4 kids under 11 and a nagging wife, this stomp box building is like a dream come true. I mean I have a SHO; my mate who I gig with paid £250 for a "Muyord" hand painted one, mine stands me at £15.50, and is more defined at volume. With that sort of saving my pedal board is going to go beyond the 5 pedals it stands at at currant.

And can you ever have enough boost pedals???

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Nocentelli

Thanks for the advice..Regarding bread board, I am still reading "Electronics for Dummies".

I have been getting most of my parts in 100s from Farnells in Armley...Cheaper then the Bay.

My pedal board could handle a Tone bender, thats the one that took my eye when reading..

Can anyone recommend a proven Tag layout or vero. I do like tag though makes it feel old, to me in some way.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

MuzzledAxe wrote:
this is actually completely true in the non-sarcastic way.
Yes I was been sarcastic..
i know. just letting ya know, it ain't like that here. It's an outspoken and honest forum, and everyone's welcome! we also don't delete any comments.

for tag layouts check out the tag and turretboard library sub-forum and http://www.turretboard.org, or the tonebender threads in the vintage effects sub-forum. The search function is very helpful in that respect :thumbsup

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Thanks

All forgotten now...

Off Topic

By the way your country has a very lucky football team...Denmark should have won last night clear penalty...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

not sure which situation you are talking about, but a tie would've been sufficient. :wink:

Nocentelli
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Nocentelli »

MuzzledAxe wrote:Nocentelli

I have been getting most of my parts in 100s from Farnells in Armley...Cheaper then the Bay.
I was about to recommend Farnell, just opposite the prison! I discovered it about a year ago, it's great for enclosures, since they have all the crazy new-ish hammond ones and it's cheap enough for most basic components... plus it's ten minutes from my door.
MuzzledAxe wrote:My pedal board could handle a Tone bender, thats the one that took my eye when reading..

Can anyone recommend a proven Tag layout or vero. I do like tag though makes it feel old, to me in some way.
I really like the Skreddy Lunar Module fuzz, I've not tired of it after playing for a year or more and I've messed about with dozens of other fuzzes in that time: I've maybe made 4 or 5 variations, but here's a verified layout for a 5 knob version, almost exactly as per the delux skreddy - https://www.freestompboxes.org/download/ ... &mode=view

Here's the thread about it: https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... nar+module

"Mictester's" silicon tonebender is also nice, a lot more raw/less smooth, and with more gating possible if you tweak the trimmer -

https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j190 ... render.gif

https://www.freestompboxes.org/viewtopic ... r&start=60

Dirk and Seiche are both awesome people, you've discovered an incredible forum: When I discovered this place I couldn't believe such a resource could exist. The stompbox builder's subforum doesn't see half as much action as the vintage/modern/boutique circuits fora, though it's definitely growing. It's relatively new, and not the prime focus of this website, which was (i understand) more intended be a place to systematically record, discuss and analyse stompbox circuits with no restrictions.

MuzzledAxe
Information

Post by MuzzledAxe »

Seiche wrote:not sure which situation you are talking about, but a tie would've been sufficient. :wink:
Badstuder pulling the shirt of Bendtner about 5 mins before winning goal. I can't find a clip...

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

MuzzledAxe wrote:
Seiche wrote:not sure which situation you are talking about, but a tie would've been sufficient. :wink:
Badstuder pulling the shirt of Bendtner about 5 mins before winning goal. I can't find a clip...
you're right, I remember, that was a bit sketchy. the referee apparently let it slip because Bendtner actually managed to shoot. Nevertheless, i doubt that would've lead to a win on the side of denmark.