testing before enclosure

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.

testing before enclosure

Postby chuckhubbert » 14 Sep 2012, 14:35

I am waiting on a couple of things, but will be building the MBB kit from General Guitar Gadgets soon. My questions right now are about the process. Is it usually better to do the off board wiring before stuffing it all in the box? If not how do most folks test before boxing?

Thanks,

Chuck
chuckhubbert

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: testing before enclosure

Postby Dr Tony Balls » 14 Sep 2012, 17:04

depends on your confidence level with the circuit. There are certain things I wire up in the box but others I test before I stuff the box. If i'm testing them I usually wire up the pots ahead of time so I just have a board with In, Out, +9V and Ground that I can plug up to my breadboard and test out. Here's an example:

Dr Tony Balls
Diode Debunker

Have thanks: 153 times

Postby Nocentelli » 14 Sep 2012, 18:35

If you use Dr Balls' method, just be sure you use long enough wires to the pots so they'll reach when it goes into the enclosure - Saves the effort of desoldering from the board and pot when it somes to boxing up. Equally, you don't want to have wires any longer than they need to be: One way is to make a mock enclosure out of card (easy enough to make a net if you know the dimensions) and poke holes with a pencil where the pots are going to go. You can then get the wire lengths right before you even drill the real enclosure.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 856 times

Postby chuckhubbert » 15 Sep 2012, 12:11

Thanks for the good ideas and input. I am anxious to get started.
chuckhubbert

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby KindaFuzzy » 15 Sep 2012, 21:14

I do what dr balls does, hate digging in there after to re-solder something.
KindaFuzzy
Degoop Doctor

Have thanks: 296 times

Postby Nocentelli » 15 Sep 2012, 21:41

If I'm doing a symmetrical layout, I wire up the pots, switch, LED and battery snap + power socket (hopefully remembering to use external nut type) with the components mounted in the holes of the drilled enclosure, but upside down/inside out: That is to say with the pot shafts facing into the pedal. I can then make all the connections without the sides getting in the way, and get all the wires the optimum length and routing. I then just undo the pot nuts and drop the whole lot out as one, flip the box over and load it into the inside out the box.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 856 times

Return to Absolute Beginners