<BOM> Help with the parts list, Bill Of Materials

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
gibsualdo
Information

Post by gibsualdo »

Hi, first off I should state that I'm a total noob when it comes to building pedals. After checking out the DIY kits at BYOC, I figure it'd be a lot cheaper to just buy their PCBs and the rest of the parts from a component retailer. I've decided I want to try and build a DOD 440 clone as my first build, but after reading the parts list provided with their instructions, there's a few points that I'm not sure about.

Firstly, which type of resistors should I use? I have no idea which power rating, tolerance or element types I need. As for capacitors, "aluminium electrolytic" seems pretty self-explanatory (my components source stocks solid aluminium electrolytic capacitors), but as for film capacitors (non-electrolytic?) there is ceramic, polyester, polypropylene and others to choose between. With the diodes, there are different voltage and current ratings avaliable. Also, there's the matter of which 4558 dual op amp, all with varying voltage, bandwidth and slew rate options. Finally what current and voltage would the LED need to be?

Sorry for all these questions, I know I could probably find the answer to them by reading for a few hours, but I just want to attempt a single pedal for now. If that goes well, then I 'll probably start on the reading material. I just don't want to waste precious time, on something that I may not even end up making much use of (the whole pedal building thing may or may not be for me). Here's a link to the BYOC instructions for the DOD 440 clone for anyone interested - http://buildyourownclone.com/filterinstructions.pdf

super velcroboy
Information

Post by super velcroboy »

well think of it this way, you are spending time learning what to use, and time = money. So the logic that you want to save money is well founded. If you are totally lost, then buy the whole kit. It will teach you. Once you've done one and you want to do another, you can start to source your own parts.

WormBoy
Information

Post by WormBoy »

My advice: buy the whole kit. That's how I got started (with a BYOC tremolo). If you get that working you know your soldering skills are sufficient, and you'll know if you like building effects as a hobby. If (like me) you're totally hooked afterwards, it is a good investment to do some reading on different components (quality, sound, size, max. voltage, availability and of course, mojo!). Especially when you're very new to this thing, the BYOC kits are great (almost fool proof, and predrilled enclosures).

modman
a d m i n
Information

Post by modman »

gibsualdo wrote:Hi, first off I should state that I'm a total noob when it comes to building pedals. After checking out the DIY kits at BYOC, I figure it'd be a lot cheaper to just buy their PCBs and the rest of the parts from a component retailer. I've decided I want to try and build a DOD 440 clone as my first build, but after reading the parts list provided with their instructions, there's a few points that I'm not sure about.

Firstly, which type of resistors should I use?

carbon film 1/8W or 1/4W is enough
film capacitors (non-electrolytic?) there is ceramic, polyester, polypropylene and others to choose between.
Broadly, ceramic for the very small values (in pF), polyester or mica for 1nF - 1uF unless otherwise indicated
elco for higher values
With the diodes, there are different voltage and current ratings avaliable.
Get 1N914 and 1N4148 for now.
Also, there's the matter of which 4558 dual op amp, all with varying voltage, bandwidth and slew rate options.
Finally what current and voltage would the LED need to be?
Sorry for all these questions, I know I could probably find the answer to them by reading for a few hours, but I just want to attempt a single pedal for now.

It would be a good idea to read all the FAQs at diystompboxes, Geofex, GGG, etc. they do cover most of the basics.

I guess everybody thinks I'm being paid by them, but this is what a starter needs to buy:

http://www.futurlec.com/ValuePacks.shtml

1/4W 300pc's Resistors for only $2.45
Ceramic Capacitors 200pc's for $2.95
100 Capacitors Electro's only $3.95
100 Mylar Capacitor Pack - $3.95
LED's R,G,Y 100 only $4.95
Diodes Signal 100 for $2.95

is about $20.
Then buy pots ($0.5/pcs!), ICs and transistors for stuff you have in mind, you'll be building a whole batch of fx from these $20 of parts. People say they ship slowly at Futurlec, but then, don't choose the supercheap economy shipment. To Europe shipping is $12/kg which is really cheap from Indonesia. It may take 3 weeks over here even.

Casings, knobs, etc you buy as you go along and could be found locally.

Maybe still buy the kit and order some parts at the same time, so they arrive by the time your first project is done?
good luck anyways!

wait until you discover how easy and cheap it is to make your own pcbs. :wink:
Please, support freestompboxes.org on Patreon for just 1 pcb per year! Or donate directly through PayPal