stupid Noob question about jumpers

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
UltraRealism
Information

Post by UltraRealism »

So on a vero layout.. What do I use for a jumper.. I know I could use the slack off a resistor or what have you, but could I just use colored wire? Or whatever you call it.. Regular wire..

microsynth
Information

Post by microsynth »

Yes, you can use any old wire to make jumpers. But, if you want your layouts to be neat and tidy, you'll want proper insulated wire cut to the exact length you need. If it's not insulated (colored) you're going to get shorts all over the place.

Lucifer
Cap Cooler
Information
my favorite amplifier: Vyse BBQ Blue

Post by Lucifer »

I use plain old tinned copper wire. Pull it taut while it's still on the reel - I usually allow about 12 inches (300mm), grip the end securely with pliers, and then pull to get the kinks out. I then cut this off the reel, giving me a decent length of straight wire from which to cut my links/jumpers.

I don't bother insulating the links, because a GOOD vero layout will allow you to have uninsulated links/jumpers without any risk of shorting to other components.

The other reason I don't use insulated wire is that the insulation tends to shrink back during soldering, spoiling the appearance, and possibly exposing bare wire - which defeats one of the reasons for using insulation in the first place. You could place silicone sleeving over your wire if you're really worried about shorts, or want more colour on your board. The silicone sleeving is heatproof, so won't shrink during soldering.

Bend your jumpers neatly, and measure against the holes before making the second bend. That makes sure that the jumper will sit straight and flat on your board (again reducing any possibility of shorts).

Yes, you can use left-over bits from resistors, etc - they are usually straight already.

Good luck :thumbsup
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

^what he said, insulated only looks cool if it's not burnt.