Board repair and fixing chips/cracks around components

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

FOTD882.JPG
I'm a beginner who started a mod a while back. I made the mistake of trying to persuade a desoldered component out with pliers a little too much and I chipped the board around it. Do I need epoxy glue/pen or is this is a different kind of problem? I've included a picture so hopefully someone has seen this happen before. It's on the right side. Thanks!

DrNomis
Old Solderhand
Information
my favorite amplifier: Self-Built Valve Amp Head :)
Completed builds: Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face,Tone Bender Professional Mk 3,Tone Bender 3-Knob,Baja BK Butler Tube Driver,Baja Real Tube Overdrive,Roger Mayer Octavia,EH Soul Preacher,Tech 21 XXL Distortion,MFOS Weird Sound Generator.

Post by DrNomis »

With a bit of luck the chip/crack hasn't gone any deeper than the thickness of the lacquer covering the circuit board tracks, you can use a multimeter set to a low ohms range to check that the PCB track underneath the chip/crack hasn't been damaged, a zero-ohms reading should indicate that the track is okay..... :thumbsup
Genius is not all about 99% perspiration, and 1% inspiration - sometimes the solution is staring you right in the face.-Frequencycentral.

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

Cool, but I also forgot to include that I can't get solder to form there anymore so it looks like a repair of some kind is in order.

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

Just bridge it with a piece of cut off lead from a resistor, or a piece of wire should do the trick. :wink:
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

Forgive my ignorance but you're suggesting I press a piece of wire onto the chipped area as I solder to get the solder to form? Sorry if I'm making you spell it out for me.

JudgeMingus
Information
Completed builds: JH-1 renovation with mods for crisper tone
Tuner/Mute box with loop reverser (for Gilmour 'seagulls' wah effect)
Si Fuzz Face clone
Rat clone
Tonepad Rebote 2.5 echo
Phase 90 clone
MXR noise gate clone
Runoffgroove Professor Tweed
Distortion+ clone
OD250 clone
Fuzz Central Liquid Drive
MXR DynaComp clone
Orange Squeezer clone
Demeter Compulator clone
Skreddy Lunar Module clone
Dual-output buffers (derived from AMZ Super Buffer)
Several more under way!

Post by JudgeMingus »

Ice-9 is suggesting that you solder a piece of component lead from the (most appropriate) existing solder point to the spot where you need to solder in a replacement component.
IE: replace the damaged track with a piece of wire.

Sorry if that doesn't make it any clearer.

I have done the same when repairing damaged boards, but I don't have any photos here to offer for clarification.

EDIT: This article does a reasonable job of showing a similar(ish) technique: http://www.instructables.com/id/Solder-on-PCB-traces/

Ice-9
Degoop Doctor
Information
my favorite amplifier: Marshall
Completed builds: Far to many to afford the enclosures for them all. :)

Post by Ice-9 »

JudgeMingus - has explained exactly what I meant, but I also don't have any pictures to hand. Using the cut off lead from a resistor or some solid core wire you can rebuild the broken trace by soldering the wire/lead from one component solder pad to the other component pad. Using solid core wire or a resistor lead will allow you to bend the lead to suit the shape of the track. If you use normal multicore or kynar wire for the repair it is easy to make a repair that may stretch over a distance on a pcb but as your repair is two pads right next to each other then the solid wire/lead is the better fix.
It's fairly straight forward, if you want to start it , press start. You can work out the rest of the controls for yourself !

No silicon heaven ? preposterous ! Where would all the calculators go ?

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

What you're saying makes sense but when I tried it I still couldn't get the solder to form. I'm not sure if this picture really shows what I've done but it looks like the lead I'm using is not close enough to the track...or maybe I'm just way off.
Attachments
FOT3568.JPG

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

I'd appreciate it if someone can look at that picture and tell me if what I'm trying to do is completely wrong, I've tried it a couple of different ways and I can't get anything to form.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

You've been "persuasive" enough to pry the copper trace off the board, which is why the solder won't adhere to the board.
The technique with which you've tried to repair the damage you did to the board seems legit, but you should only connect the points that were once connected by the now damaged trace.
Once you've reconnected the points, glue down your new "trace". flying leads like that is just asking for more trouble.

Next time: use desoldering braid instead of persuation. It'll save you lots of time and frustration down the road...
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

There was only one point in the damaged trace, so are you saying I should find the two points closest together with that damage in between or solder the wire from the damaged joint to another solder joint?

Yea I've got a solder sucker that usually does the trick but I had a hard time getting one component end, I should have had some braid handy so I've definitely learned my lesson after this debacle.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Coreymcd22 wrote:...so are you saying I should find the two points closest together with that damage in between or solder the wire from the damaged joint to another solder joint?...
I'm, saying that you should only connect the points that were previously connected by the missing trace. ;)
---

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

Ok, I've soldered a wire form the broken solder joint to the next closest one with the wire pressed down onto the broken trace. What would you recommend I use to glue it and how hard will it be to remove once glued? I appreciate the advice.

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information

Post by grrrunge »

Coreymcd22 wrote:Ok, I've soldered a wire form the broken solder joint to the next closest one with the wire pressed down onto the broken trace. What would you recommend I use to glue it and how hard will it be to remove once glued? I appreciate the advice.
I use locktite. It will be nearly impossible to remove once it's hardened.
All the modding fun stops once you destroy the board ;)
---

uncleboko
Cap Cooler
Information

Post by uncleboko »

Or simply connect from component side :roll:

Coreymcd22
Information

Post by Coreymcd22 »

uncleboko wrote:Or simply connect from component side :roll:
If you mean solder the spare wire to the good joint so it will stay that's what I've done, I've got the other end on the broken joint and am still not able to form an electrical connection/solder on the broken joint. Thats why I was wondering about glueing, although I'm apprehensive because if it's nearly impossible to remove I could just end with up with a broken trace with a wire on it if I've done this wrong.