electronic parts in garage during winter

Ok, you got your soldering iron and nothing is going to hold you back, but you have no clue where to start or what to build. There were others before you with the same questions... read them first.
jimiguitar
Information

Post by jimiguitar »

is it safe to keep electronic parts in garage during winter ? or how cold can you keep them before they are ruined

grrrunge
Diode Debunker
Information
Completed builds: Loads!

Post by grrrunge »

jimiguitar wrote:is it safe to keep electronic parts in garage during winter ? or how cold can you keep them before they are ruined
That would usually be specified in the component datasheet. How cold does your garage get?
A true believer in the magic of Sherwood Forest Pedal Pirates
---
New base of operations: http://www.knucklehead.dk

jimiguitar
Information

Post by jimiguitar »

looks like i'am safe all of the data sheets so far that i saw say -55c which is about -65f it dont get colder than single digits at the worst winters we had

deltafred
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by deltafred »

I would be more worried about condensation causing corrosion than the actual temperature.
I know condensation in my garage can be pretty bad when the temperature changes rapidly.
Politics is the art of so plucking the goose as to obtain the most feathers with the least squawking. - R.G. 2011
Jeez, she's an ugly bastard, she makes my socks hurt. I hope it's no ones missus here. - Ice-9 2012

Duckman
Opamp Operator
Information

Post by Duckman »

deltafred wrote:I would be more worried about condensation causing corrosion than the actual temperature.
I know condensation in my garage can be pretty bad when the temperature changes rapidly.
I agree. Unless you live near the Poles or in some very extreme climatic condition, you must concern more about how humidity work in metal parts of components, than temperature.
Soldering doesn't like oxidation. :secret: