BAT41, what can I use instead?

Frequent question abouts LED and other types of diodes.
Tummy )))
Information

Post by Tummy ))) »

Hi there :)

First Post here but I allready found so much interesting posts and projects. I am building a Zendrive using following layout on vero:

As is dont have BAT41´s at home but lots of zener 9.1V Im asking myself if I could use them instead. Any idea? :hmmm:

Robin

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

In order of preference:

Any Germanium diode
Any Silicon Schottky diode (eg. 5817)
Replace 2x BAT41 with one std. silicon diode, zener would be ok

Any changes here WILL lead to a small difference in tone, but conversely you could put all kinds of things in that clipping section for different tones.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Tummy )))
Information

Post by Tummy ))) »

Thank you for your reply! :D

You mean I could replace the two BAT41 in series with a single Zener? On the other hand I have still lots of different LED´s I could try out :?

Maybe someone has a link on Diodes and how the main differences there will be soundwise?

Hides-His-Eyes
Tube Twister
Information

Post by Hides-His-Eyes »

The main difference is in the Forward Voltage of the diode, and so how much gain it takes to take the signal high enough to clip.

I'd try replacing the two BAT41s with an LED and the single with a normal diode (the 'zenerness' is irrelevant in this setup). That will get you closer to the original sound, but will reduce the amount of 'distortion' possible.
Testing, testing, won too fwee

Deny
Information

Post by Deny »

Thought I'd reply in this old thread instead of creating a new one on the same subject. Has anyone measured the forward voltage of the BAT41? The datasheet says 450mV MAX, but I wasn't able to find anything about typical values. I can't find this diode in my area and would like to find a replacement with as close as possible forward voltage.

EDIT: Just found this on the tdpri forum, credit goes to 11 Gauge:

- BAT42: ~280mV
- LED: ~1700mV (actually varies with the color)
- 1N34A (germanium): ~ 340mV
- BAT41: ~ 370mV
- 1N400X series: ~500mV
- 1N4148/1N419 ("standard" silicon): ~600mV
- many transistors (including mosFET's): ~720mV

Thought I'd post the info in here for future reference. BTW, 1N34A will be close, but not an exact match - it will sound a bit more compressed than the original design.