Fuzz factory too quiet?

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Joshtate
Information

Post by Joshtate »

A have recently built a fuzz factory clone from the vero layout featured here: http://goo.gl/EYNqZ

all seems to be working (oscillations etc as well as some great useable tones) However the pedal is extremely quiet, needing almost full volume on my Marshall 30W amp to gain any useable volume. From what i know about Fuzz factory's this is very unusual? currently the volume pot is disconnected as when i connect it to the board, all oscillation is killed and all knobs lose functionality? could the quietness be caused by dodgy soldering or dodgy transistors?

any ideas/help would be greatly appreciated.

I am using AC128 germanium transistors if this helps?

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Joshtate wrote:could the quietness be caused by dodgy soldering or dodgy transistors?
yes and yes. tell us more about your transistors, have you measured them? What are you using for Q1?

also a high res picture of you board (front and back) would be helpful. most problems with vero originate in dodgy soldering or components that are placed on the wrong track/hole.

Also, have you verified all cap and resistor values? (e.g. 470k instead of 470R is a very common mistake)

Joshtate
Information

Post by Joshtate »

For Q1 i am using a 2N3904 as stated on the layout, currently i haven't measured the transistor values as i was unsure of how to do this, i think i understand now and will get back as soon as i have. all of my component values are verified, (i checked several times!). Also should the stab post affect the volume of the output? as when i adjust the stab the volume also seems to decrease.

Seiche
Old Solderhand
Information

Post by Seiche »

Joshtate wrote:all of my component values are verified, (i checked several times!)
how often i have said this before [smilie=imslow.gif]

please post pictures :thumbsup

Joshtate
Information

Post by Joshtate »

okay I will try to take some tomorrow. it is a very small board though so it could be hard to get decent pictures :?

Joshtate
Information

Post by Joshtate »

Found the problem! volume pot wired to the wrong track was screwing everything up :slap:

all works well now, and is seriously loud!

Thanks for the help :)