FuzzFactory upgraded clone problem

Forum dedicated to helping people debug and troubleshoot non-functional pedals or builds. Please use an clear and informative title, indicating circuit and basic problem. Don't forget to mark the issue as fixed if this is the case.
Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

Hello

I've just build a FF clone using the Madbean schematic (Zombii) with one interesting mod and I have a weird loud pop problem.
Yeah it sounds like a "first build" problem, but really it is not the case :wink:

The main mod I've added is an expression pedal input to control the Stab, it's wired onto a switched jack and a DPDT stop switch. I've wired it in a way that when nothing is plugged in the jack the Stab pot still have control no matter how the stomp status is.
There's also a LED for this switch...

First the bypass switch was wired straight "true bypass", with nothing more, I mean no pulldown res or something like that... The loud pop occured only when the bypass switch was used but the manual/expression switch was dead silent.
As this pop was a big problem, I've tried to find a solution:
added a 1Mohm pulldown on the output jack > no result
added a 470Kohm pulldown on the circuit input (not the jack) > no result
changed the TB wiring for a input circuit ground version > now the pop occurs with both stompswitches
added a res+cap on the bypass led > no result
added a emitter-follower circuit (based on a 2N2222 tranny) on the circuit output > weird bypass problems and still loud pop with both switches
changed all the caps > no result

I've used "high gain" russian germs, 90hFe and 134hFe...
And the pops occur with and without an expression pedal plugged in.

Now I really don't know what to do... I'm thinking to remove the full 3PDT and replace it with a Boss-like bypass but I don't even know if this will solve the problem.

Please could someone give me an idea?

Thanks a lot

Cheers

ps: the layout is pretty messy with the ground wiring, this is a bit more efficient on the real thing as I've cleaned some long wires when soldering.
Attachments
FuzzFactoryV4.pdf
(41.81 KiB) Downloaded 49 times

Zokk
Resistor Ronker
Information

Post by Zokk »

I've solved the pop problem!
I had to change the bypass switch (got some nice glod plated from Mammoth), cleaned the ground wiring a bit, and I've used the wiring diagram from another layout (which is a bit more simple than the one I've previously used).
Now I can hear a pop when the manual/expression switch is depressed, but only if the volume and tone controls of the guitar are set to zero... so it's fine as I barely play guitar with these controls off :wink: