Sho booster problems

Frequent questions about dead or faulty pedals. Whether you repair, mod or build pedals, debugging is important. Threads about general debugging problems irrespective of the circuit involved...

Sho booster problems

Postby Mrdorbe » 21 Apr 2013, 21:19

Hey guys I hope I'm in the right thread...
I built the sho booster used a pic I found in the Internet worked like a charm!! Clean boost perfect
But when I tried to build another one it worked but the pot made scratch noises and the sound coming out was overdriven.
I used the same parts and did everything the same can anyone think of what I could do wrong the second time that could cause this problam?

By the way I tried replacing the pot and stil the same also checked it with multimeter..
Thanks
Mrdorbe

Have thanks: 1 time

Re: Sho booster problems

Postby Lucifer » 21 Apr 2013, 23:15

When pots scratch, it suggests DC where it shouldn't be.
Make sure one of the cap feeding the pot isn't shorted out by a sliver of solder or stray bit of copper track.
”Sex is great - but you can’t beat the real thing !” - The Wanker’s Handbook
Lucifer
Cap Cooler

Have thanks: 96 times

Postby Nocentelli » 21 Apr 2013, 23:53

Isn't the control labelled "crackle OK"? I'd be more curious about why your first build didn't crackle, and also why this second one is distorted: I think the circuit probably overdrives at really very high levels, but before then you will probably also be distorting whatever stage comes next in the chain. It is a fairly clean, glassy boost most of the way up.
brownwhopping wrote:How can I learn by reading threads an making circuits, when some day I can see a lawsuit or somebody beat me in the face for that?

For this message the author Nocentelli has received thanks:
Mrdorbe (31 Oct 2013, 23:09)
Nocentelli
Tube Twister

Have thanks: 855 times

Postby davent » 22 Apr 2013, 00:07

Sounds like something may have been wrong with the first one. Low settings a clean boost, high settings, kick the snot out of the first tube preamp stage, crunch. Crackle?- all's fine.

http://media.zvex.com/FLASH/SHO/

dave
davent

Have thanks: 9 times

Return to Debugging